1957 7.5 Johnson Gearcase Housing Seal Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfw

Cadet
I just removed the gearcase housing and it looks pretty confusing. I ordered the manual and am waiting on that. The gearcase housing seal kit that I ordered came with no instructions. As a new guy to the hobby am I biting off way more then I can chew by attempting a re seal of this unit? Or will this whole thing make sense once I get my manual. I watched the video on how to drop the lower unit which was really helpful. But when I was pulling mine apart he had seals and washers on the drive shaft that I didnt have. All I had was a brass collar over the spring. I am hoping this was different since the video was of an Evinrude 7.5 instead of a Johnson. Is there an online diagram where I can sift through to figure this out? If not I will wait for my manual. Any suggestions would be great.

MFW

mfw

Cadet
Re: 1957 7.5 Johnson Gearcase Housing Seal Kit

Thanks, I found a diagram and cross refrenced the parts with the diagram. Doesn't look like its going to be that bad. Just have to figure out how to pull the 2 seals. I will go to autozone and try to find a seal puller. Also, does the fill plug and drain plug have a plastic washer in the kit (2 of them)? Thanks for the help.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, the drain/vent screws have a plastic seal washers. Make sure you get the old ones out, might be made of paper.

mfw

Cadet

Ok good those were the last 2 things I needed to figure out where they went. Since I have it all apart, do you think I should change the head gasket and exhaust cover gasket? If so, where would I get them?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

If it were me, and there were no problems with the head and exhaust gaskets, I wouldn't mess with them. Go the the second post and look at that site to get part numbers and see if they have them, they might be available here on iboats.

kfa4303

Banned

mfw

Cadet

I finally figured it. I took it apart and put it back together and it works.... I think. I am going to run it more tomorrow and then take it out on the lake. I am still trying to get the compression up in that top cylinder, so I will seafoam it and run it for awhile on the lake. The hardest part was getting that stupid seal off the prop shaft. I am not even going to say how long it took me. Thanks for all the help.

MFW

Nconn

Cadet

It will make more sense when you look at the manual. Look at the site below, select your model number and look at the parts breakdown for your engine, maybe that will help you out.
http://www.*****************/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1957&hp=7.5

I have the exact situation but cannot open the site Daviet supplied to many stars blocking out most of the address, need help, Have no idea how to install this kit 18-2679 for the lower gear housing seal kit for a Johnson/Evinrude 1957 7.5 motor

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I believe the URL might be disabled because it is an iboats competitor. We wouldn't go to a nice restaurant and tell the patrons to go to the restaurant across the street, right?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have the exact situation but cannot open the site Daviet supplied to many stars blocking out most of the address, need help, Have no idea how to install this kit 18-2679 for the lower gear housing seal kit for a Johnson/Evinrude 1957 7.5 motor

Nconn

Please start a new thread and we may be able to help you find what you need.

Old, inactive thread - Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.