Johnson 150 V6 silver star outboard 2-stroke

Roth11

Cadet
Not sure of the year...just bought used. The prior owner thought it is a 93. Ok... my issue is...when we looked at the boat to purchase it was started and no alarms. Put it in the water on saturday first few minutes it didnt pee then next try it did. then the control box alarm went off solid and loud. again it didnt pee then it did. through all of this the motor cranks up quick and stays running. we didnt want to keep it going with the alarm sounding so we started slowing it down and acted like it was wanting to stall though it never did. now you turn the key and the alarm goes off and stays on without cranking the motor but turn the key off and it stops. we are not sure when the last time this boat was in the water prior to saturday. I am thinking and hoping we just need a new control box. :confused:

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Johnson 150 V6 silver star outboard 2-stroke

From what I can tell by reading your post you have a couple of different issues. What is the model # of your engine? It is easy enough to lookup the year at shop.evinrude.com

1) If the alarm sounds with just by turning the key on you either have a short in the wiring harness or one of the sensors also if your oil tank is low and the VRO is still hooked up that would sound an alarm. You could also have a faulty warning horn.

2) The water pump should start pumping immediately if you should have a stream right away. Ifv the water pump hasn't been replaced in a while replace it. Also check to make sure that nothing has plugged the tell tale port insects like to make their homes in there on occasion.

Roth11

Cadet

Thank you for the quick reply. i havent been able to locate the model# yet on it. But I have found out through my investigations it can only be a 1991-1993...only years it was produced. so would you start by of course checking the hole for insects but just replacing the control box? its not in very good shape and it sounds to me that would take care of the faulty wiring issue with the alarm.

Roth11

Cadet

oh yes. and I am new to boating.. I thought with the two stroke you mix the oil and gas...did not know it is a VRO or has a oil basin for that matter.

hidef

Lieutenant

I would change the water pump first and second I would check under the cowl for any issues. The only thing in the controls is the warning horn and ignition key. I doubt your problem is there. You did make sure your oil tank has oil in it correct? Your model number should be on the port side of the transom mounting bracket. You can also find it on one of the welch plugs in the engine block. BRP can also cross reference the serial number for you. If you haven't purchased a service manual I highly recommend you get one.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/parts.php#manuals

hidef

Lieutenant

If you are running 50:1 in it then tank at least you haven't hurt your engine. You need to confirm the oil tank if it was removed by a previous owner than continue premixing.

Roth11

Cadet

ok. that is what I will do! Thank you for your help!

Roth11

Cadet

one more question. will this alarm go off if it has no or old gas in it. We dont know how long it sat with gas. he did say that he winterized it. but did also say he wasnt putting gas in it and we have not yet. we put it in the water to make sure it didnt sink 1stly then to see if motor actully worked.

hidef

Lieutenant

The alarm will only go off for no oil, low oil and over heating.