Motor Flusher?????

hondarider188

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 1985 evinrude 140hp and i was wondering if i could hook up a motor flusher on it to start it without taking to the lake and if so where does it hook on at to pump the water into the impeller

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Motor Flusher?????

I think waiting only 36 minutes to make another post asking for help is a little excessive.

But here you go, these are what you're looking for. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreNum=10106&subdeptNum=10434&classNum=10439

You don't have to get them from West Marine. I'm pretty sure big name stores like Wal-Mart sell them too.

You slide them on over the holes on either side of the lower unit, in front of the prop. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jVeXJrVmE

Just to note in case you haven't done this before, the engine will be very loud out of the water.

nwcove

Admiral

im not into the big hp motors , but the muffs should clamp on just above the anti-cavitation plate. there "should" be small grills on each side of the leg, the muffs should cover them. dont run it if youre not completely confident you have water to the motor. (pics are a big help.....both for you, and all the great people here that are willing to help!)

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure that you get a flusher where water flows from both sides.

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Make sure that you get a flusher where water flows from both sides.

Why is that important? Both sets of holes (on either side of the lower unit) go to the same place, right?

kfa4303

Banned

You want/need as much water flow into the engine as possible, especially out of water. I was just talking to my neighbor this morning about how he can't run his 110 very long on muffs before it starts to run hot b/c he just can't get quite enough water, so he always makes sure to try to run his boat in the river for a while after he's been at in the ocean to flush the system, rather than trying to do it on muffs. If you can get water from both sides, then that would be best. 140hp is a big motor and can/does get hot quickly, so you need lots of flowing water to keep her cool. Don't go much above idle while on muffs either. Good luck.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When talking motor flushers, "more is always better". There are mtr mfgs that recommend only using the double feed. The reason being, flushers that only supply water to one side can suck air.

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When talking motor flushers, "more is always better". There are mtr mfgs that recommend only using the double feed. The reason being, flushers that only supply water to one side can suck air.

Ahh good point. I never thought about it sucking air.