1986 70hp Johnson wiring harness question

bleubeans

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1986 70 hp Johnson that i started a thread awhile back about the removal of the VRO. That is complete and I appreciate the help from all. However, now I am dealing with the wiring harness. The previous owner eliminated the 20 amp fuse and i think that is why all the wires are "mushy". This left both the male and female ends of the red plug melted and a prong just fell out when i unplugged them. I happened to have an old harness from a 83' evinrude 30 hp and I plugged it in and connected it everywhere except the black/yellow wire (key kill switch) because this harness didn't have that connector for whatever reason. So, i guess my question is: can i rig the black/yellow wire from the power pack so i can turn the motor off when i turn the key to the off position? Would I have to run that wire up the length of the harness to the control box and connect it to the switch (black/yellow) inside? Would this work? Or is there an easier method. Thanks in advance.

Zoodirt

Cadet
Re: 1986 70hp Johnson wiring harness question

I have a 1986 70 hp Johnson that i started a thread awhile back about the removal of the VRO. That is complete and I appreciate the help from all. However, now I am dealing with the wiring harness. The previous owner eliminated the 20 amp fuse and i think that is why all the wires are "mushy". This left both the male and female ends of the red plug melted and a prong just fell out when i unplugged them. I happened to have an old harness from a 83' evinrude 30 hp and I plugged it in and connected it everywhere except the black/yellow wire (key kill switch) because this harness didn't have that connector for whatever reason. So, i guess my question is: can i rig the black/yellow wire from the power pack so i can turn the motor off when i turn the key to the off position? Would I have to run that wire up the length of the harness to the control box and connect it to the switch (black/yellow) inside? Would this work? Or is there an easier method. Thanks in advance.

can you tell me what you did to eliminate the vro ? i have a 1990 70hp and would like to do the same...