Repainting Evinrude 15 hp -79

Patmark

Cadet
Hi all.

If I get my newly aquired engine to work smooth and it seems reliable, I'd like to give it's worn surface some paint.

What's the suggestions here? I don't even know what material the engine is made of.

I'm (sadly for all restorers) not planning to give it back it's original look, I will choose colors that I'm found of myself. So it's not important for me that it is standard Evinrude paint, I'd be happy with something else. What can I use on the metal parts, what can I use on the plastic hat?

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Repainting Evinrude 15 hp -79

how much time do you plan to spend on preparing the motor for paint? how long do you want the paint to adhere to it? a GOOD clean up of the motor, a light sanding....just enough to take the shine off the old paint, a can or two of self etching primer for any exposed metal, and some spray cans from the local hardware store will doll it back up. but if you dont spend time prepping it properly, good chance it will look worse, in a few months than what you started with.

Patmark

Cadet

Thank you, sounds good. Any special paint to handle being under water?

kfa4303

Banned

The engine is mostly made of aluminum with fiberglass cowls. Ditto the self etching primer. You want to give everything a light coating, especially any areas that are bare. Then you can choose a variety of brands and styles of paint. There are lots of opinions, but proper preparation and priming and you can use a quality spray paint from any major retailer. they do make official paints and colors, but they're not cheap and mostly just for professional restorations. These links may help too.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=237937&highlight=painting+outboard

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,201,00.html

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class

The evinrude paint in aerosol cans have a little metal flake in them. The paint lays down
so nice. I use evinrude coatings on the motor and what isn't white on the cowl. Regular white car paint will work for the cowl but IMO, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer looking finish than the manufacturers paint or from Moeller. Gold and light blue metal flake are really nice finish's.

Auto Body shops (and internet) sell a clear coat urethane that is 2 parts in one can. Push a button on the bottom, shake and spray. Get a terrific clear coat finish without the paint gun clean up for this small job. Around 20 bucks for the clear coat, kind of pricey but works great.

kfa4303

Banned

How much will one can of the clear urethane cover FillupD? Do you think one can would coat a vintage 10-15hp? Cowl and motor, or motor only?

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class

One can will easily coat a boat motor and cowl. I coated a 50 hp evinrude motor and cowl and was able to lay down two coats.
One can will cover quite a bit. You could cover a couple of 15 hp motors and cowls easy.

Spray it on light of coarse. One word of caution if you end up using this. It likes to run off decals so go extra light on those to start. The spray can does go on little heavier than a gun because there is really no spray control.
I will use this clear coat in a can again. It is easy and really finishes a paint job.

This what I used http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd_2_part_2k_aerosol.cfm

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The evinrude paint in aerosol cans have a little metal flake in them. The paint lays down
so nice. I use evinrude coatings on the motor and what isn't white on the cowl. Regular white car paint will work for the cowl but IMO, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer looking finish than the manufacturers paint or from Moeller. Gold and light blue metal flake are really nice finish's.

Auto Body shops (and internet) sell a clear coat urethane that is 2 parts in one can. Push a button on the bottom, shake and spray. Get a terrific clear coat finish without the paint gun clean up for this small job. Around 20 bucks for the clear coat, kind of pricey but works great.

I have also used the Evinrude paint from the dealer. About $7.00 a can. It is excellent paint and covers nicely. I had old Evinrude brochures that I took to a sign shop, and they made me new vinyl hood decals with their computer that they somehow scanned from the brochure pictures. Quite a task, when you consider they have to be reversed for each side. Turned out very nicely.

FillupD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did the same thing for the decals. The guy at the shop even commented on the paint and how nice the evinrude coatings looked. I opted to have him put the decals on for an extra 10 bucks so I only had to buy them once lol.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
i just repainted my johnson 9.9 84'.they are grey models.
tmorow i will atache some photo.
i put him in parts, sanded, and powder paint puted with primer and hited in 180 C for 20 minutes

Patmark

Cadet

Great looking engine! Thank you all for the advice.

Anyone has an idea how to bring that power outlet seen on this restored johnson to use? I'd like to light my lamps with it if possible.