Seafoam in 2 strokes

jrtredo

Seaman Apprentice
I want to decarb my newly acquired 1979 70hp outboard. I've read some of the suggestions on here and most people say to spray the seafoam directly into the carbs at some point in the process. Is this safe for a 2 stroke motor? Are there lubricating properties with this seafoam?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Seafoam in 2 strokes

Yes, you can inject directly into the carbs.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Make sure you follow the directions on the can, other wise it will do you no good.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

There are two kinds of sea foam- the spray kind that you fog into the carbs, and the liquid kind you add to your fuel. It is 100% petroleum so it's safe to fog in with the fuel/oil without a loss of lubrication.

kfa4303

Banned

Ditto. It works great for decarbing your motor. It will smoke like @#$@#$ but that's normal. You might want to warn the neighbors though :) You can decarb it in a test tank at home, but try to get her out on the water soon after so you can get her up to WOT on the water to completely burn out all the gook. When you're done, you may want to clean/replace the spark plugs as they can get pretty dirty in the precess. You should notice a lower, smoother idle and all around better performance. Best, most effective $10 you can spend. You should be able to get several treatments out of one can. Plus, you can use it in you car, lawn mower, or virtually any other 2-4 stroke engine. Good luck, Keep us posted.

nwcove

Admiral

i didnt even know the stuff existed until recently, but just adding it to the fuel made a world of difference in my old motor!

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seafoam works great!! Love the stuff. If you have really sticky piston rings you can also add Yamaha Ring Free...that stuff worked wonders for my Johnny 150 when Seafoam just didnt seem to do the trick. It cost more than seafoam but seems to do a better job IMHO when things are really gummed up. Keep us posted

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I prefer BRP Engine Tuner for ease of use, but Seafoam is a great product. Used as directed, it will do the trick for you.