What amperage battery do I need for 55hp Johnson Seahorse?

BlueBeast

Seaman
I need to know what time of battery my 55 hp Johnson Seahorse needs to start.

fireman57

Captain
Re: What amperage battery do I need for 55hp Johnson Seahorse?

I know that someone is going to what the model number, year, how long you have had it, etc... Just go buy the cheapest 3 year 550 cranking amp automotive battery you can find. If you use it for starting only you will be fine. Run your trolling motor and other stuff off a deep cycle battery. I've been doing this for over 41 years and never had a problem.

kfa4303

Banned

I've even see folks use motorcycle and big lawnmower batteries to start their old Big Twin motors. kinda cool b/c they're so small, but I like 57 idea best too. A half-way decent car battery will work fine for starting purposes.

BlueBeast

Seaman

For the lights and depth/fish finder, what kind of deep cycle battery do I need?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Use the same battery for starting and those loads as well. Just a regular starting battery. Only need deep cycle for elec trolling motor.

fireman57

Captain

The only reason I run my electronics and other stuff off of a separate battery is just in case I get a spike back through. I have had my depth finder fried.

kfa4303

Banned

It you're worried you could go with the smaller, motorcycle-style starting battery and a larger deep cycle battery for trolling/accessories. That way the two systems are separate, so if one gets fired the other should be ok. The two together shouldn't weigh more, or take up much more space than a single starting battery. Good luck.

BlueBeast

Seaman

So do you all agree that a 550 CCA battery would be fine for starting it? Model number 55EL76E, serial number E4473745.

Attachments

• SDC14767 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    SDC14767 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should be fine....I use a group 24 550 CCA battery on my old 62 Evinrude 40hp

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

It's all a matter of how sure you want to be that it will start. What if you do run an accessory or a light off of it and a switch fails and doesn't stop current draw? Or you forget something's on? It's true that if it's dedicated to starting tiny will do. I've even started my v4 with a tiny group u-1 deep cycle (a little bigger than a motorcycle battery) after it ran my stereo all day. The starter switch was broken and it ran a tiny current to the dedicated 1300 CCA starter battery all day. You never know what's going to happen so as a rule put as much starting power in as you can reasonably fit and afford. If you are far from land, have a second battery.

You can get a voltage sensitive relay from BEP that only allows charge current, and only lets it go one way. As in from the starter battery to the accessory battery. That keeps two batteries charging. Great way to go with a small setup. You could even put two group u-1 batteries in the same large battery box.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

For the lights and depth/fish finder, what kind of deep cycle battery do I need?

As in my above post, check out group u-1 deep cycles. I got mine, second one now, from Academy Sports. $45. It runs my LED lights(the halogens I replaced with them torched it..), stereo, live well (although only when I refill, it doesn't run constantly), fish finder, 12v to my handheld gps, and some other stuff all day and it's so tiny it can easily be mounted out of the way. Lights are a real killer on small boat battery systems. LEDs are your friend.

BlueBeast

Seaman

I ended up getting a duel purpose Xtreme marine battery, 550 CCA. It works good. Thanks for yalls help.

willib0731

Cadet

I ended up getting a duel purpose Xtreme marine battery, 550 CCA. It works good. Thanks for yalls help.

I use a 650 cca marine battery and a regular battery. The car battery for starting and the deep cycle for running the elec motor and acessories. They are hooked into a battery switch for charging and emergency starting purposes. I also throw a battery charger on them when I am not using the boat to keep them fresh. Works great for me.