90 Johnson 60hp, trim motor blown, removal tips?

sonoramike

Seaman Apprentice
J60TLESM motor - went out to get the boat ready for the lake earlier this week and found that the trim motor is inop, have power to the relays and to the wiring. motor just doesnt turn anymore, seems all locked up.

Is there a procedure outlined online somewhere that details the removal of the trim motor?
do I need to pull the big motor? those 3 screws look like they would be hard to get to
is the trim motor rebuildable?
any idea on the part number of the motor?

thanks

Mike

photo-5-1.jpg

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 90 Johnson 60hp, trim motor blown, removal tips?

Before you replace you did check the connector just below the relay box to see that it was not corroded or not making good contact? Also, you might tap the trim motor lightly with the butt of a screwdriver to make sure that one of the brushes is out of contact with the armature. Other than that you do have to raise the motor and take out the four bolts and the pin holding the tilt ram. Use your tilt lock or a board to hold the engine up. You might get a starter/generator shop to rebuild the motor if it's not internally rusted up. Otherwise about $200.00 will fix you right up.
Good Luck.

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the trim motor # is 18-6759 for a new one

sonoramike

Seaman Apprentice

finally back in on this project, but have run up against a wall and am looking for some suggestions on how to best proceed.

have confirmed that the wiring is good and that the trim motor is shot, have new motor in hand. Have 2 of the 3 screws out but need to tilt the motor all the way up to get to that third screw in the back corner.

So the problem is that the trim motor is fully inop so I can't raise or lower the motor at all. I'm trying to take the pin out of the ram shown in the photo above but I can't get the pin out since it butts up against the side mount before coming all the way out. I need some way to lower the motor about an inch which will then allow the pin to come the rest of the way out. Is there a way to bleed some pressure out of the system which would cause the ram to drop? I can't lift or lower the thing at all at the moment, appreciate any help/pointers. Would like to get out and do some fishing.... :(

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

On the starboard side, down near the bottom, you'll see a hole. In there is a straight blade screw. Loosed it, not more than a turn and a half, to take the pressure. BE CAREFUL. Once you start to loosen it, it will start to drop. Watch your fingers, and have a buddy there with you. Oh, get an OEM shop manual. You'll be glad you did.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need a repair manual.

On the starboard side of the mounting bracket there is the "manual release valve". With a big screwdriver turn the valve ccw for about 1 turn. This opens a path between both cylinder ends and the motor can be raised and lowered manually.

When you remove the motor, the hydraulic fluid will drain out. You will need to refill with Dexron II ATF. You should replace the motor's O-ring as well.

OMC fitted the engine with four different trim motor types (Prestolite, Showa & Bosch). For some of them repair kits are available, but they are more expensive than the Sierra motor.

Well I rebuilt the trim motor in my 1989 60hp Johnson last year. The engine was made in Belgium and a Bosch trim motor was used (your trim motor look different). In Germany marine spare parts cost twice as much as in the U.S. So I found a carbon brush manufacturer selling those Bosch brushes and I found a company cutting the gaskets out of FPM rubber. But the main problem was the brush mounting plate made from FR-2 (phenol paper) which has become weak over time due to water intrusion. I made a new mounting plate from FR-4 (glass epoxy).
It was fun to "redesign" the motor, but it doesn't really pay the effort. Now I have the parts for another four Bosch motors at home....

sonoramike

Seaman Apprentice

That manual release screw will not turn, do I need to remove the C-clip first?

I have the Seloc "manual" but it serves best to provide a clue that something is possible vs actually providing accurate information.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a hand held impact driver, about 10 bucks at Harbor Freight, and give it a smack. It will loosen enough to be able to use a regular screwdriver. The c-clip is there to keep you from removing the screw, which you don't want to do. Good luck.

sonoramike

Seaman Apprentice

Get a hand held impact driver, about 10 bucks at Harbor Freight, and give it a smack. It will loosen enough to be able to use a regular screwdriver. The c-clip is there to keep you from removing the screw, which you don't want to do. Good luck.

I have one of those, c-clip function makes sense, hope I have enough room to get the impact driver in there.

Thx mucho for the quick reply, maybe I can still get some fishing in today now that the weather has cleared up here in northern CA. Off to the garage I go