4R73C Johnson 4hp replacing the starter recoil spring

Gimbo

Cadet
I got this motor without the spring so I wanted to install it but doing something wrong.

I got the spring mounted after expending all my swear words, but had to repeat them after putting tension on it as this is what happens.

When I pull the starter cord, the idler gear pulls down and away from the flywheel.
And when I release the cord, the idler gear goes up and engages the flywheel.

The pull rope is coming off the top of the pulley wheel. This is the way it rolls back onto the pulley wheel after putting tension on the spring.

Hower I did disaasemble again, and assembled it without the spring, and winding the rope on so that it pulls out off the bottom of the pulleywheel, and now the idler gear behaves coorectly...i.e engages the flywheel when I pull the cord.

So I guess I install the spring incorrectly. But cant figure out how to put it on so that I can make it do it's thing the right way.

I do have the service manual but it does not cover inserting a new spring...

So I hope someone can be kind and help.

Rick.

Captain
Re: 4R73C Johnson 4hp replacing the starter recoil spring

If you have an original omc service manual the last chapter tells you how to install the spring. I assume you don't have that one. I'll be going by memory here so I hope I don't leave out any steps. Read this a few times before starting as I'm leaving out some of the obvious stuff. Before you start clean all parts in varsol or paint thinner and then give everything a good coat of new light grease. Standing on the port side of your engine the pull cord goes on clockwise. I believe the length is 68 inches. with the recoil removed, wrap the pull cord all the way on it's pulley and then take an elastic band and place it on so the pull cord stays in the pulley. You will see a hole in the casting looking at you where the idler gear is. Fit a snug fitting drill bit in the hole. Push the idler gear up so it is making contact with the flywheel. Make a couple of wooden wedges that will sit on the cowl and force the drill bit up so the idler gear stays meshed in the flywheel. At the back (stern) of the cup there is a slit where the spring enters into the cup and locks on the spring pin. Once you get everything aligned take a socket wrench on the flywheel nut and start turning the flywheel clockwise (plugs removed). As you turn the flywheel the spring will commence winding into the cup. Once the entire spring is in the cup you can take the rope and feed it out of the cowl and tie a slip knot on the outside of the cowl. Put the handle on the rope and release your knot and the rope should wind back into the recoil. Hope this helps. Wear old clothes as I always end up filthy during recoil work. Best of luck. Rick. P.S. here is a parts break down you can access to see exactly where all the parts go. Don't exclude any.
http://epc.brp.com/SiteMods/BRP_Pub...ang=E&s1=cdb5bbaf-a4d3-4d78-b140-a8e2e2efa43f You have to go johnson/1973/4hp and so on to find your parts.
Edit. once the spring is in the cup remove the wedges and drill bit before you feed out the rope. This is why an original OMC service manual is so important. Saves me a bunch of typing and brain pain trying to remember everything. My manual is at the shop so I am going by memory.

Gimbo

Cadet

Thanks a million bunches!

Spent 8 hours swearing at this thing yesterday. And thanks to you I fixed it in 20 minutes this morning. Now me and the kiddo can go fishing as planned this saturday afternoon!

Rune

Gimbo

Cadet

Hehe, cometo think of it. The motor is the same age as my wife. maybe thats why it behaves like a ... uh...I want to live so use your imagination...

Rick.

Captain

Well I hope your fishing goes as well as your repair did this morning. Those 4hp are fantastic little engines. They run all day on a gallon of fuel. Rick.

Gimbo

Cadet

Had a great 6 hours total on the water in my inflatable dinghy. The little motor performed superbly, and started without a hickup every time. Well, it need two pulls to start. First on full choke. It will sputter and die after 3 seconds. Then choke fully in and a little more gas, and voila, it starts...lol

Got myself some nice cod. But could not go far out today as we had a bad wind. So staying close to shore.

Anyway, this motor has only run in fresh water all of its life, so it's in pretty good condition. Allmost feel bad I will run it in sea water...

Gimbo

Cadet
6 years on and it was time to replace the starter cord. Used the same method and it was as easy as putting on my flip-flops :)
Thanks again :)