Refreshing / rebuilding a Johnson 75hp Stinger

4speedy

Cadet
Hello everyone this in my first post here or in any boat forum for that matter.
I have a 1975 16ft Starcraft with a 1975 75 HP Johnson Stinger 2.

The boat is being rebuilt new floors, transom, seats, paint job etc..
I have most of the boat painted and all the floors, transom cut out and ready to be installed.
Yes I will post my rebuild in the restore section one day with pictures!

Looking around on here I see a post that has my stickers for my engine. You know the bright orange outboard with the stinger that fades as it goes to the bottom.
http://www.nymarine.ca/75JOSTINGERWEBPIC.gif

Of course these are the only ones I can find and they are the most expensive. :facepalm: Just don't want to repaint the engine all orange without the stickers or have a repaint with the old stickers ........yuk! :eek: so I guess I have to bite the wallet and get them.

Well off to my actually questions:
This outboard has been a very good motor. I know the previous owner who has had it for the 10 years before I got it which I have had for about the last 4.

I know he always rode it hard and put it away wet.
For when the boat was put up for the season he just put a tarp over it
and he pretty much would only drain the lower and replace the fluid.
Just before I got it he put in seals and a water pump but no tear down of the lower just the water pump and seals and the prop seal was changed because it started to leak. But that was the extent of its maintenance.

I have put in coils, plugs, the coil controller and thats about it.
But since I will have a new boat soon or at least in the visual side of it.
I'm going to repaint the outboard like it came from the factory.

But what I wondering is I know this motor has quit a few hours on it and there are no real problems.

I want to go through the motor and get it running like new again.
If it needed a complete teardown I would or if I knew something was getting worn that I should replace to save a major problem lets do it now while everything is apart.

Here are a couple things I noticed about this outboard.
Now I haven't started it since last year because the boat is apart.

------questions-------
It uses a lot of fuel. I know a 1975 75hp uses a lot but I think more than it should and The last owner even thinks it uses more gas than before!
I see fuel in the water when I start it up cold or hot. I know a little fuel is normal but this is more than normal.

The plugs don't fowl but when I take them out they do look wet.
But they are changed every year.

Compression was around 150 and was only about a 5# difference between the 3 cylinders.

It runs ok at idle does want to die at times. But on full throttle it runs pretty good. I do think its a bite slower than it was 10 years ago. But it was a real dog before I did work on the ignition. I just wish I had an RPM gauge on it to know for sure if it is getting to the rpm.

I always thought this engine at idle or very low speed sounded like a chain drive but as I look a some on youtube and ebay they all sound pretty much like they are chain driven.

This is what I have planned on doing a rebuild on this motor.
1: Carbs
2: reed valves:
(at least take them out an check them, was told should put in Boyesen reed- thoughts?)
3: plugs:
4: water pump its been about 5 years since this was last done and its been sitting the last year.
5: anything that can increase performance without getting into major changes would be nice!

Can you think of anything else I should do.
I mentioned the conditions of the motor.

Like I said I'm sure it does have a few hours on it.
Always used hard and put away wet with very little maintenance.
Been sitting the last year.
Its not quite up to the power it used to be either.

Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Thanks in advance Shawn