1970 Johnson 40hp Outboard Repair (40ESL70A)

j_lardinois

Recruit
Guys I am newer to the forums so I hope I am approaching my questions the correct way... I am looking to replace the coils, condensers, points and plug wires on a 1970 Johnson 40hp model #40ESL70A. I purchased all of the parts I need and have a manual for the outboard. I do not own a flywheel puller, is there any tools that would work to pull the flywheel without damaging it? Or should I just go ahead and purchase a puller? Also does anyone know if it will be neccessary to replace the seal after pulling the armature plate, or should I be able to reuse it?

Thank you in advance for the advice :D

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 Johnson 40hp Outboard Repair (40ESL70A)

Get one of these (harmonic balancer puller) and some Gr8 bolts and washers (all under $25):

harmonic balancer puller.jpg

... or you can pry, heat and pound on the flywheel until it comes off, and you'll have to replace it. Your choice. You will also need a tourque wrench, to replace the flywheel and a means of holding the flywheel to torque the holding nut.

j_lardinois

Recruit

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Also, do you have an idea of what my compression should be at? I would like to do a compression test before I start tearing apart the engine to replace the entire ignition system.

Thanks again

j_lardinois

Recruit

I got the coils, points, condensors, plug wires, and plugs replaced and tuned the carb... couldn't run better (knock on wood). I had it out on the Green Bay today and it is running great. I also added a hydrofoil to help plane the boat at lower speeds. Thanks for the advice!

IMG_0611.jpg