What should a good compression test be on a Johnson Venom 200

bigbass87

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at buying a 1997 Javelin 400TE that has a Johnson Venom 200 on it for $6500. Is this a good deal? Also I asked them what the compression was on all 6 cylinders and they said that cylinders #1-#5 tested 90 psi and #6 was 85 psi, is this good? What should it be? Thanks.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: What should a good compression test be on a Johnson Venom 200

More importantly, how does it run with a load (i.e. on the water, not on a hose)? The big sixes don't always test very high, and they holes are even. Never, never buy an outboard w/o an on the water test, unless you're getting it close to free ($6500 is nowhere near free). Unless the motor is really pristine with a fresh PH rebuild, $6500 is pretty pricey. I would expect more like < $3000. Is this from a dealer or private party? A couple of years ago, in a much stronger seller market, a neighbor bought a brand new last year model 135HP Merc with a full warranty for only a few bucks more than $6500 (I think it was around $7K).

bigbass87

Seaman Apprentice

More importantly, how does it run with a load (i.e. on the water, not on a hose)? The big sixes don't always test very high, and they holes are even. Never, never buy an outboard w/o an on the water test, unless you're getting it close to free ($6500 is nowhere near free). Unless the motor is really pristine with a fresh PH rebuild, $6500 is pretty pricey. I would expect more like < $3000. Is this from a dealer or private party? A couple of years ago, in a much stronger seller market, a neighbor bought a brand new last year model 135HP Merc with a full warranty for only a few bucks more than $6500 (I think it was around $7K).

This is from a local dealer.... here is the link to the boat
http://www.justaddwaterboats.com/pr...63593X7K13K2011J8I56I30JPMQ3951R0&veh=2208062

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I was ignoring/missed the boat. Still, the boat and motor are 14 years old AND it's a VERY soft used/new boat market. I've been trying to sell a boat that a few years ago would easily sell for the mid fifties and have gotten no serious offers @ $35K. I'm very friendly with a tech at the largest boat/motor dealer in our area and he said recently if he had to make a living selling boats and motors now, he'd starve to death. I you really want the boat, make a much lower offer than the ask price and see what happens. Again. the motor is probably worth under $2500, so $7K is a big number for the hull,motor and trailer.

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

i agree little steep on the price

bernd64

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes the price is high more like 3000 sounds like it and the compesson shud be around 100 any thing less is asking soon for a rebuld.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your compression numbers are excellent, BB. It is the span that is important, not the PSI. A 5psi span is very good.

bigbass87

Seaman Apprentice

I offered $6000 because that is about what its worth on nada and they met me halfway at 6500. I've done some research on these Johnson venoms and people are claiming that anything under 100 psi compression is bad. But I asked the seller and he said that 85-90 psi is normal and as long as its within 10-15 psi you'll be fine. So how many years do you think I'll get out of this motor before rebuild if I take good care of it properly?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I would repeat the $6K offer, make it good only for a limited time (i.e. 48 hours) and insist on a year warranty on the motor. If they don't meet it, find another boat. It's a buyer's market in spades.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

I wouldn't rely on NADA for correct current values. I think BUC Value is better, but NA to consumers, only dealers.

BonairII

Commander

Unless there is a reason that you HAVE to have this boat...I would let them know that you're having second thoughts about the deal Tell them your wife(or whoever) is not happy about you buying a boat, if need be.

Then gauge their reaction. If they act hostile/agitated, then walk away. If they try to work with you, then get the price lowered. Don't be afraid to offer them $3-4k. They might not have paid much for it in the first place. "Used" cars, boats, etc are where dealers make the most profit. There's def negotiating room. JMO

boobie

Supreme Mariner

One thing to remember is compression gauges vary and nothing is "etched in stone" with them.