58 johnson 35 hp adjust shift rod(popping out of gear)

tim thompson

Seaman
Today I received great instructions here on how to examine clutch dog. Is there a way to adjust shift rod or check to see if that is problem? Do i take off lower unit to do so? I replaced impeller not long ago and wonder if I messed it up. It was a gift so I don' know the history. Thanks again

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 58 johnson 35 hp adjust shift rod(popping out of gear)

Hi Tim. You check the shift rod connector, without the motor running, by removing the oval window on the side of the motor and putting it into gear. You should see the lower shift rod get lifted upward when going into FWD and being pushed down when going in to REV. If you don't see it moving properly, the upper and lower shift rods may not be properly joined by the shift rod connector. You can fix it by removing the lower bolt from the shift rod connector and putting it in FWD that should separate the upper and lower shift rods. You'll see how the tip of lower half is scribed with a groove in it. That groove allows the lower bolt from the shift rod connector to pass by and secure the rod. To put the two halves back together again grab the lower shift rod (I usually use a pair of pliers) and tug up on it and hold it tight. With your free hand, shift the motor into REV. The tip of the lower rod should go into the shift rod connector about 1/2"-3/4". The groove in the lower rod should line up with the bottom hole of the connector. Once they all line up, put the bottom bolt back into the shift rod connector. Hopefully, the upper and lower rods will now be securely linked together. Try shifting in to FWD (you may need spin the prop a bit by hand to help it along), then into NEUTRAL and REV. Again the rod should be tugged up for FWD, and pushed down or REV.
If the motor pumps water while in a test tank with water filled up to about an inch below the exhaust port, then the water pump is ok.
Keep us posted.

tim thompson

Seaman
Re: 58 johnson 35 hp adjust shift rod(popping out of gear)

Yes , thank you kfa4303 for the detail. The difference is about bolts on shift rod are side by side so one clamps lower shift rod and other to the top. I believe this is directly related to popping out of gear cause I don't think I got those back correctly in groove. I am hoping anyway because of simplicity as well as expense.