1994 Evinrude 120, disassembling gearcase

rumriver

Cadet
Hi, first time poster here.

Managed to remove most/all of my skeg on a rock. To repair am disassembling the gearcase so the welding doesn't cook seals & bearings.

The lower unit is off the motor, and am carefully tearing it down. I am to the point of removing the drive shaft and the prop shaft, but don't know how to proceed. There is maybe 3/8" vertical play in the drive shaft, but it doesn't come free, and I don't want to apply force and break things. I'm assuming I'm missing a step somewhere.

The model number is E120TLERC.

Another question: When shifting, how much play/slop should there be between forward and reverse?

Thanks!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1994 Evinrude 120, disassembling gearcase

Do you have the bottom nut removed from the drive shaft?
Is the water pump still installed?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you use a welder who's done this before, it's not necessary to tear it down or drain it. The gear oil will protect the seals. But, if not, I guess it's OK to tewar it apart. Just a lot of unnecessary work

rumriver

Cadet

Daviet,
I do not know how to access the nut on the bottom of the driveshaft. I'm assuming you are referring to part #31 on the drawing on the link below.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/B... - 120TX & 140TX STANDARD ROTATION/parts.html

The waterpump has been removed, as well as the bearing housing immediately below it. (Part #49.)

Widle1j,
The welder has done this job for me before, and that time it did not require disassembly. This time I really bashed it, it needs welding almost the entire length of the bottom of the gearcase.

Thank you for your responses.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, #31 has to be removed before the drive shaft will come out of the gear case. Do you have the bearing housing, reverse gear, propshaft removed? You should be able to see the nut on the bottom of the driveshaft.

rumriver

Cadet

Daviet,
The propshaft is still in place. What's the method to remove said propshaft?

Thanks!