1979 Johnson 55 hp on a ranger.

tomintheozarks

Recruit
Good morning,

Just a question to see if this will work for me. I have a 1975 Ranger 155a, and my 1976 evinrude 70 hp has left this earth for a better place. .
I have access a 1979 Johnson 55 hp from a buddy that just has it in his garage and it runs great.

Will this push my boat? The boat is rated at 85 hp so I know I'm at the border line bare minimum. I usually just take my wife and I or 1 other buddy. Once in a great while there might be 3 of us, but not very often.

I'm not looking break any speed records, just fish and fish some more. In fact I usually never travel over 20mph anyway.

Just want to make sure this is enough engine for the boat before we swap it out.

btw, I'm just using this as a quick fix to run the rest of this season and maybe next before I upgrade the whole boat.

thanks in advance,

Tom

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Johnson 55 hp on a ranger.

I have a 50hp on my 14.5. which is rated about 80-85 (can't remember). The 50hp moves my boat quite well 28-30mph at WOT. The rating is the max hp without being dangerous. But its up to you. Boating or no boating? IMO.... go for it...... especially if it is free;).

tomintheozarks

Recruit
Re: 1979 Johnson 55 hp on a ranger.

I have a 50hp on my 14.5. which is rated about 80-85 (can't remember). The 50hp moves my boat quite well 28-30mph at WOT. The rating is the max hp without being dangerous. But its up to you. Boating or no boating? IMO.... go for it...... especially if it is free;).

Ya i like the free part, and I want back on the lake even though it's way to hot right now. I just didn't want a complete slug of a boat. But if it is I can't complain since the price is right.