Evinrude 18 hp - Broken Crankshaft Key

f1maxis

Cadet
Hello all...

I'm in the process of rebuilding a 1960 Evinrude 18hp, model 15032. Have had it running but it was running rough. Have went through the ignition system and was working on the carb when I noticed the broken crankshaft key.

Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the remaining piece and replace it with a new key? See pics below...

Thanks for your help.

2czy23r.jpg

2ymukax.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 18 hp - Broken Crankshaft Key

Use a 1/8" punch and try to drive one end into the crankshaft and the other end should pivot out a little and you can use a pair of side cutters to remove it.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will probably have to take out the points cam, also. Be very caeful if you do. I beleive that it is no longer available from BRP, but I'm probably wrong.

It's called a Woodruff key. Half-moon shaped. The crank is ground out the same shape as the key.
Remove as above.

Get a genuine BRP replacemwt, not a hardware store variety.

You MUST torque the flywheel nut to 40-45 ft/lbs with a TORQUE WRENCH. If you do not have one, many auto parts stores have a rent or loaner program. If you do not torque the nut properly, you will be buying a new key and digging out the old one.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

The reason it sheared is the last time the flywheel was off, the nut wasn't torqued when replaced. You get only a few tries before the flywheel and crankshaft become very ugly paperweights.

f1maxis

Cadet

Is there anything special to removing the points cam? Does it require a special tool or should it just lift off?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It should just lift off, but with the sheared key you might have to GENTLY pry it up with a flat blade screw driver on each side.

f1maxis

Cadet

Thanks guys...I was able to remove the points cam and used a punch to get the rest of the broken key out. I'll get another key ordered and get it replaced. This is an invaluable place for information, thanks again.

f1maxis

Cadet

BTW...y'all were probably right about the shearing caused by not torquing the flywheel nut. I didn't have a torque wrench available and just "guesstimated". Won't do that again...

f1maxis

Cadet

OK, the new key should be in today or tomorrow. Does anyone know specifically how it should be installed for this model, 1960 Evinrude 18 hp model number 15032? Parallel to the taper or parallel to the centerline of the crankshaft?

f1maxis

Cadet

Cool, thanks for the response. Looks like it's out for delivery so I should have it today, will give it a shot tonight.