1976 Evinrude 55 HP

Hello Everyone. I have a few questions about my engine. I just got this boat/engine combo. I took it out yesterday for awhile to fish. Day started off horrible lol. New boat so don't know the little things yet, but most of them now. First, when you start the engine with the warm up lever up, it will start just fine, but when you lower the lever to put in gear and go you have to be quick because the idle is so low it will die. I think I need to increase the idle rpm some, but the instructions on the air box seem complicated and unclear. Second, after getting the timing right to go from warm up, to in gear and going, which isn't really an inconvienonce, but would like to just be able to idle and put in gear and go. You don't get a throttle response until you have it pushed about 3/4 forward, but from there on picks up nice. Third, after fishing in a spot for about 2 hrs we moved to another spot across lake, and sat for about 2 hrs, and on the way back to dock 1/2 way across lake it would start surging, losing all power until below half throttle and would run ok. I was curious about this, so after everyone was out of boat, letting it sit not running for about 15 minutes or so, took a quick spin and it ran fine. So, I am going to replace impeller, maybe weak, or broke that day at some time, even though guyy I bought it off of says it was replaced last year, or water too warm to cool engine thoroughly, or fuel problem? I did notice that on the outside of the housing below the bottom half of cover for engine there was a little oil/gas, but mostly oil running down the outer driver shaft housing. Like an inch or so. So, replace impellar, flush cooling system with muffs, but being there's not really a tale tell on the engine I guess Just feel to see if it gets cold? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to go a little bigger in engine size, it's on a 16' Bluefin Sportsman, and it's rated for 90HP or 1600lbs motor, persons, gear. I want to have as much engine as possible, but want this engine to be top notch to save on out of pocket expense when that time comes. I am hoping to sell this one to cover some of cost of upgrade...

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55 HP

It sounds like it is time to overhaul the carbs, paying attention to the high speed orifices. Your engine does not have a tell-tale, but you can install one, run a search and you will find several posts on how to do it.