Dead cylinder 1982 Johnson 50 Ignition miss

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Guys

I thank you all in advance for any help you can offer :

O.K - this has been a problem for a little while. I just isolated it to a non firing top cylinder miss. The compression is good and it is getting gas. I just tested the resistance on the stator and it came up as 450 which seems to be within specs. Can someone please describe how I can do a diagnostic test on the coil for that cylinder and one on the power pack? I still dont know if I can eliminate the stator as being part of the problem, and I think this is a real easy fix, but I dont want to throw random parts at it as a fix for no reason. I tested the upper coil, and came up with about 250 ohms for the output side which I think was in reason too. Thank you again - Paul:confused:

RodneyReed

Recruit
Re: Dead cylinder 1982 Johnson 50 Ignition miss

Try swapping the two coils. If miss moves to bottom cylinder, there's your problem. If not, check powerpack.

bostonwhalermontauk1965

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Dead cylinder 1982 Johnson 50 Ignition miss

Thank You very much. Good idea!!!! If worst came to worst, I could probably change every component in the ignition system for less money than they will charge to diagnose one of the items as being bad, and then replacing it only. ;) Thank you very much for the great idea. Paul