from a mercury 40hp to evinrude e tec 30???

schemmy

Cadet
Presently have a 1995 Mercury 40 hp on my alummacraft lunker v16 ltd tiller (rated 45hp max). Starting to take motor in more often for odd repairs and thinking of getting the Etec 40hp but was concerned about the added weight of the motor. Mercury 177lbs and the etec 40 250 lbs. Thats an added 73lbs to the back. Im 220lb.
Not concerned about safety issues just the back of the boat being heavy in operation.
The 30hp etec is more around the weight of the mercury but giving up horespower.
Use to run a 16ft lund with a 30hp mariner and had plenthy of power for two.

Was also looking at mercury 40 4 stroke but I dont tend to take my outboard in to the dealers for maintance and reading on this forum and others the 4 strokes need more maintaince done to them.

Just looking for opinions.
And thanks for having such a helpful forum.
Schemmy

the machinist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: from a mercury 40hp to evinrude e tec 30???

The E-Tec is a well designed & powerful motor. I run a 75hp. However these motors can not be mechaniced on by most of us as they are all computertized. Even to adjusting the idle speed. However they have a 3 year or 300 hour warranty.

When the dealer plugs it to his computer he can tell you how many hours you have on it, how many times you started it, what RPM you ran it at & for how long, the temperature it ran at, etc. etc.

schemmy

Cadet
Re: from a mercury 40hp to evinrude e tec 30???

Thanks for the reply. Not in a hurrry so will continue to look at my options