1960 Evinrude Big Twin 40hp Restoration.

David Hendry

Cadet
Hi I have just inherited a 1960 Evinrude 40 hp Big Twin. From the information i have been given, It was put into the cellar roughly 20years ago. It was running at this time, and had oil injected into the cylinders. And flushed clear of salt water. I have recently brought it up to get it started and used once again. I have clean all the engine with wd40 and checked it has a spark which it does. I have changed all the rubber pipes and have had to repair a saddle for the throttle control. The engine is moving freely and will turn over but will not start. I am in the process of Stripping the carb down and coating the cork float in 'Seal all'. I will then be rebuilding the carb. And again try to turn her over and hopefully she will start. I am wondering if there is anything else i shoulde be checking or looking at before i try to start it. I am new to marine engine especially this old. I have worked on cars before. But there are obviously some differences here. Your knowledge and help will be gladly taken onboard and acted on.

ps. I am like in the uk and from searches i have already made have found that almost all the parts for these things need to come from the US. So any help there again would be great.

Thank you David

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1960 Evinrude Big Twin 40hp Restoration.

You will need to replace the waterpump too. After sitting that long, it's likely to be shot.

Welcome to iBoats.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi David. Check out the Sticky at the top of the Johnson forum for the "How to bring an old outboard back to life" thread. It will explain all of the basic steps needed to get these old gems running again. There's really not that much to it. There are several so called "consumable" parts which should be replaced including: the points/condensers (a.k.a. a "tune up kit"), water pump (a.k.a. the impeller), carb kit (rebuild carb), spark plugs and spark plug wires, and possibly the coils if they are damaged. Thankfully, virtually all of the parts are available here in the iboats store. All told it should not cost more than $200 US. Once replaced, the motor should run like new for years to come. You may also want to purchase the "Cheap Outboard Book" by Max Wawrzyniak, available at amzon and other sites. It's a great guide to restoring and maintaining these great '50's, '60's, and '70's era OMC (Johnson/Evinrude/Gale) motors. Here are a few good links to get you started too. Good luck. We like pics. Keep us posted.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086
http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/07/columns/max/index1.htm

David Hendry

Cadet

Thank you guys i will take a look at what you have mentioned. I will get back to you with my results. Hopefully soon. Does anyone know the part number for the impeller on this motor?

Thanks David

nwcove

Admiral

not sure if id coat the float with seal-all, get a new float! that could cause issues down the road.
(before you start spending money on parts, do a proper compression test to make sure its a serviceable powerhead)

David Hendry

Cadet

If i am to be very truthful. I would just like to see it running this winter. I have the boat to restore too. Which i will try to post some pics soon. It is a vintage plywood runabout about 14ft long i think. I do not have an awful lot of money to spend on this projects as i have a young family. So time is very tight too.lol. I reckon i get about 1 night a week possibly 2 if im very lucky. The boat is in need of alot of work, as i am a carpenter i think it shouldn't be too difficult but as i said i will be posting pictures of the boat when i manage to get it into the garage. Thanks for your help. I will definately check the compression. I believe it should be about 120? And change the impeller, but i think a tune up kit and a full set of new parts just isn't phesable this year unless absolutely necesary. Unless of anyone who can point me in the direction of a cheap supplier. Hopefully if it works for next season i may be able to set aside a little more money for the next season.
Thank you

David

nwcove

Admiral

i understand your dilema with the new parts deal! if you can get compression numbers that are at 70psi on each cyl or better +/- 10% between cyls the motor should be ok. if it has the three main ingredients for combustion, save and scrimp for the tune up parts. (im assuming there is no uap napa stores on your side of the pond?)

kfa4303

Banned

Good luck on the boat resto! I'm not sure of you budget, but if you do need a tune up kit they're only about $20. chances are the coils have already been replaced by a PO so they're hopefully ok. you can also try cleaning the points with very fine grit sand paper, removing any oxidation or pitting which may have occurred then resetting them to .020" once they have been thoroughly cleaned. a carb kit is also about $20, should you need one. however, if you're lucky you may be able to get away with a good cleaning. all told, you can replace virtually every consumable part )points/condensers, carb kit, impeller) for under $100 and it's money well spent indeed. best of all you can get them all right here at iboats. just click on the Marine Store tab in the upper left corner and enter your motor's year and/or hp. hope that helps. here ar some handy links too. keep us posted.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi guys.

I have just checked the compression and im getting 75psi from both cylinders which is good sign i think? I have rebuilt the carb and cleaned the float. i havent sealed it with anything as of yet. I am hoping to get down to my garage later on tonight to see again if she will fire up. I will only see if it starts. Not run it for any period of time as im still not sure on the impeller. I am yet to order one, but will be soon. I have taken some pics tonight hopefully post them later tonight.

Thanks David

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi Guys.
I have put the carb back together. This seams to be working fine. But i dont seam to be getting any fuel to the cylinders. I have fuel going through the fuel pump, which seams to be working fine. I have fuel going to the carburetta. So i decided to look at the leaf valves which seamed to be sticking slightly. I took them off and cleaned them with carb cleaner and they seam to be fine now. The problem still seams to be that i cannot get and fuel into the cylinder. I seam to have lots of fuel coming out of the back of the carb. I really can't understand this? If anyone can help me on this one it would be great.

Thanks David

nwcove

Admiral

how can you tell that theres fuel/air getting out of the carb, but not to the cyls? (75psi on both is ok, if you can get your hands on some sea foam when you get it running, it should boost the comp a bit) id also try putting a few drops of fuel/oil mix directly in to the cyls and see if it make a kick to start that way.

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi Guys.
I have set the needles to- Slow speed 1 and 1/2 turns out and the high speed to 3/4 turn out. I believe this to be a good starting point. Fuel is actually running out of the back of the carb. This is how i know that it is coming out of the carb. I tried putting fuel into the cylinders and it did pop but only for a fraction of a second. To be honest, not really sure what is going on as i say from what i can see the carb is working, the leaf valves seam to be working i have a spark, good compression???????

I have brought the boat out today and had a good look at it. In need of pretty major work to be honest. New hull but all internal timbers look ok so just a few sheets of ply i think.

kfa4303

Banned

If there's fuel coming out of the carb I think you float arm needle is stuck, allowing too much fuel in to the carb. I would take the carb apart one more time and pay special attention to the float arm needle and the hi/lo speed needle packings. The needle setting given in the link are only approximations, so you may still have to tweak them a bit. Also, be sure that once you have them set you tighten the brass nuts the needles pass thru. Don't forget the idle set screw either. It's a bit of a pain finding the right balance between the hi speed needle, lo speed needle, and idle set screw, but once you have them where you want them they'll be good to go.

nwcove

Admiral

if you do remove the carb again (im assuming you are going to) try blowing into the fuel line with the carb upside down and level......if you can, your float needle isnt seating, allowing fuel to flood your engine. air should pass with the carb right side up. (float bowl empty of course)

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi guys.
Thanks for the advice again. I think i will have to bite the bullet and buy some parts for this. I will try rebuilding the carb one more time but then i will order some new parts. The thing is to order them of he i will have to pay ?25 shipping which is a similar price to the parts lol. But ah well needs must.
As i said earlier though i have brought the boat into the garage today so can start working on that whilst i am waiting for parts. The boat is in pretty bad condition. But very repairable. The trailer also needs rebuilding but again can do that quite easily myself i think. Has anyone worked with a plywood boat? Advice on this too would be good.

Thanks David

David Hendry

Cadet

Carburetor Kit18-7010 Carburetor Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 382054 382051 382050 - Sierra 18-7010
Ignition Tune Up Kit for Johnson/Evinrude 172522, GLM 72810 - Sierra 18-5006
Water Pump Impeller for Johnson/Evinrude 777213 377230, GLM 89660 - Sierra

These are the kits i have looked at. The problem is the carb rebuild kit does not have a float. And that is something i know i need.???

nwcove

Admiral

david, start a new post in the boat restoration thread, post pics etc, you will get tons of great advice there too.

David Hendry

Cadet

Hi mwcove.
I will set uo a new thread, maybe tonight, and i will post the link on here. I have found a supplier near by YIPEEE got a carb refurb kit and a new inpeller and some more useful information. This place is an alladins cave of marine engines and motors of all sorts. I am hoping to rebuild the carb tomorrow night and put the new impeller on. hopefully we may have some life in her then.

Thanks David