Limited Electrical Power to a 1999 Johnson 225

robsteinny

Cadet
Hey guys. I have a 99 Johnson 225, model # J225TXEEC

There is very little power going to the engine. From the helm, the motor will not crank (nor click) and the trim/tilt does not work. When I attempt to opertate the trim/tilt directly from the engine, I can hear a faint buzzing noise.

Sporatically the trim/tilt will work directly from the engine, but never from the console.

I also smell a slight burning/shorting odor when I stick my nose directly in the engine.

I looked for a fuse in the harness and on the motor but could not find one. Do you think the fuse could be the issue and if so, any idea where it's lcoated?

If not the fuse, what else might be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

-Rob

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Limited Electrical Power to a 1999 Johnson 225

You've got a high resistance somewhere. Check all power terminations, grounds and hots, inspect wiring for corrosion, etc. All terminations should be shiny bright and tight. Unlikely a fuse is the issue, BC it would have blown and certainly not been the cause of burning smell.

daselbee

Commander
Re: Limited Electrical Power to a 1999 Johnson 225

Just like Jim said. Look for bad battery cables, corroded connections, etc at the battery and the starter and the starter solenoid. Follow the cables.
If you are observant, you can hit the key, and look for the smoke...that will tell you where the problem is. No kidding.