2002 Johnson 115 alarm question

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys,
Haven't been around in awhile. I just repowered my starcraft with an '02 johnson 115 - 2 stroke. Haven't run it much yet -still getting everything right. So here's what it's doing:

1) starts great - alarm tone sounds normally when turning key on and then goes off. all warning lights on tach go out after a few seconds. motor runs great so far.

2) when it's running, the alarm emits a very high pitched tone at low low volume - but you can hear it. different than the start up tone, which is loud and unmistakeable.

When installing, I tapped into the purple wire on key switch (accessory circuit - same one that powers alarm) to power my other gauges.

Any thoughts you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Johnson 115 alarm question

Update: it makes the noise when key is in "on" position. Motor does not need to be running. Funny thing, while working on trim gauge yesterday, I did not hear this sound when key was on. It's doing it today, though. Anyone?

matthewp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2002 Johnson 115 alarm question

Follow up: I'm attributing this to a failing tachometer - the OMC system check tach. While on the water the other day, the tach froze @ 3200 rpm. In the fiddling around diagnosing the tach problem, the alarm went through various stages of working/not working. Since the whole alarm system is routed through the tach, I figured these were not isolated problems. I temporarily hooked up an old tach I had laying around to make sure it wasn't something with the motor. The old tach worked fine when I hooked it up. So the system check tach is indeed bad. New one is on the way.

Bonus: I thought I was going to have to go with another OMC tach - but I found Faria makes system check tachometers also - so I was able to get one that will match the rest of my Faria gauges. It was cheaper than the OMC tach by 80 bucks!