1997 Evinrude 225 OcenPro 2 stroke/Carb..plenty of WHITE SMOKE when it starts!

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,
I recently bought a boat with a 1997 Evinrude 225 (2-stroke/carb). I was told the engine was sitting for almost a year. It took me a couple of tries to get it running. Now it starts OK.
When It starts, the engine it smokes like crazy (white smoke)...then after the first minute (30 seconds) the white smoke gets much better. It still smokes, but just a bit. The engine sounds pretty good. I'm running the engine in my backyard, using a 55 Gal tank filled with water. I noticed some black oil residue in the water (that should be burned oil coming from the exhaust). I'm not use to two stroke outboard engines (specially Evinrude). Is it normal for this engine to smoke that much when it first starts?
Maybe the oil mixer is putting too much oil in the gas???
Thanks
Lui

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Evinrude 225 OcenPro 2 stroke/Carb..plenty of WHITE SMOKE when it starts!

I'm not use to two stroke outboard engines (specially Evinrude)
Is that a mis-type? You better be using 2-cycle oil....TCW-3 at least.

It could very be a leaky OMS system letting oil leak into the fuel side when sitting. If the clear fuel filter turns blue overnight then I'd say that the oil diaphram is leaking. Smoke is better than no smoke, obviously.

You may also may be running too rich on the idle circuit. But since you say that after 30 seconds the smoke tapers off I'd say that is not the case.

You may also have premix fuel ontop of the OMS mixing.

Other experts PLEASE chime in if I am not on track.

diver94

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 Evinrude 225 OcenPro 2 stroke/Carb..plenty of WHITE SMOKE when it starts!

Thanks for your help. I meant to say that I'm not familiar with this type (2 stroke engine/Evinrude). But, Yes I?m using oil...the oil reservoir is almost full.

Maybe they (Evinrude 2 cycle/carb) are supposed to smoke (white smoke) a lot when they start and then taper off. Again, the engine sounds good and none of the alarms are going off. I did notice a few drops of blue/green oil dripping from under the carb. Not much...

THANKS again for your assistance. In the past, I had 4 stroke engines and Mercruiser I/O.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah live with the smoke, worry if there is no smoke....very bad

hydra23

Seaman Apprentice

Did you rebuild or at least clean your carburators? Try a de-carb as well.

Bob Donahue

Cadet

I have a 1997 200 that had the same symptoms! After I rebuilt the carbs (6) due to a different problem, the smoke has greatly decreased. As stated by Hydra23, trying cleaning/decarbing and see if that helps. Rebuilding the carbs was pretty easy and not very expensive, about $25 for each kit. Good luck..