Vintage evinrude

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today I purchased a 15 foot trophy boat with a vintage evinrude attached. The serial number is 25526 - 236xx. The motor does run , but I would like to perform some mantinence on it before going to the lake, as I am sure the impeller has not been changed in some time. Any info on this motor would be appreciated, year horse power and such. It has two knobs on the front of motor, one is labeled high speed adjust, with some numbers on it. The other is smaller and is so some kind of adjustment knob. Where can I locate parts and is there any chance of finding an owners / service manual? Thanks for reading.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Vintage evinrude

1956 Evinrude Big Twin. Excellent motors. Ignition parts are easily obtained and impellers are the same from 1951, on up into the 70's, so that should be be easy to obtain.

To make it run nice, set your low speed at 1 1/2 turns out and the high speed at 3/4 of a turn out and go from there. Don't seat those needle jets too hard! You'll ruin them by puting a seat indent in them and such. Points set at .020

Owners manuals and repair manuals are easily obtainable. I use the Seloc Volume I, but most here will recemend the factory service manual. That all depends on how mechanically inclined you are. Myself, I learned over the years to work with niether. LOL

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the quick response zephyr! With what you said, and i have read, since you gave me the year, i am assuming it is 30hp, correct? would you happen to know a web site, i can order the manual from?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Try the Ken Cook Company. Yes it is a 30hp, 35.7 cubes. The only year they were built, till the late 70's. 1955 was the 25 and 1957 was the 35.
These antique Big Twins can be the most reliable motors on the water, if they're in good mechanical shape and tuned right. Do a compression test and post back what you get. Hopefully, they're the same on both cylinders.

Oh, and you should post some pics of that classic. I love the looks of the old Big Twins on an old boat. :D

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just got off work and checked the compression, cold cranking with both plugs removed, top is 100 psi, bottom is between 90 and 95 psi.

Zephyr, does that sound like acceptable to you? you seem to be knowledgable about these vintage motors.

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

holy cow, 100 on that 'ol iron?? yes its great! usually you hear the older ones in the 60's for compression. As a rule as long as the two are within 10% ur fine. these classics are simple and reliable.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cool, I checked it twice to be sure. it has a pull rope, and i gave that a yank, just to see if it worked, incase the starter quit sometime on the lake, after trying it, I think the trolling motor will be bringing me to shore, almost ripped my shoulder out of socket, and I am no weakling. but the rope does work, hopefully that will be the only time i have to pull it!

Barnfind

Recruit

Ah, know all about pull starting a big twin,I currently have a 25 hp....pulled it about 4 times then turn it over to a guy with muscles,but not before I ruined my shoulder. 1st thing I did was to convert to electric start ...Great motor!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The compression may improve if you do a decarb on it. 100 psi is average for one of those. I've seen better. I've seen worse.
Yea, I worked on many of those Big Twins. I currently own a slightly later Johnson ('59) 35 and I get 120 on both holes with 6 pulls, but those are just a little bit higher compression motors. You are within 10% on both cylinders, so that's okay. I would re-test the compression after running it for a little while. Fresh fuel mix around the rings will help too.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah, I think a starter is the only way to go, with anything over 10 hp, but that could be I am just lazy, lol.

I am going to try to find time, to pull the motor off boat this weekend, so I can flip boat over and redo a very bad patch job on the keel. I am also ordering new coils, points, impeller, carb kit and seal kit for lower unit, as I am pretty sure it has probably never been touched.

Zephyr, what ratio full do you run, and type of oil, I have read several posts on here some say 24:1, some 32:1?

watergecko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah, I think a starter is the only way to go, with anything over 10 hp, but that could be I am just lazy, lol.

I am going to try to find time, to pull the motor off boat this weekend, so I can flip boat over and redo a very bad patch job on the keel. I am also ordering new coils, points, impeller, carb kit and seal kit for lower unit, as I am pretty sure it has probably never been touched.

Zephyr, what ratio full do you run, and type of oil, I have read several posts on here some say 24:1, some 32:1?

Stick to 24:1, and always tcw3 marine 2 cycle oil. I only use johnson/evinrude because its a known quality, that and its 25.96 a gallon at wallyworld. For the pennies u might save on cheaper oil, its just not worth it in my opinion. I kno, the original owners manuals say straight 30w auto oil, but oils have come a long way, use tcw3 stuff. Take care of that motor and ur grandkids will be using it, they were built that well.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok guys, I need a little math help. I don't want to make a mistake, ho w many ounces of oil per gal. Of gas for 24:1 ratio?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got the new motor parts in the mail today!!!!

Also turned the boat over, to do some much needed repair on bottom , where PO made an attempt at fixing a few worn spots with, bondo and fiberglass! Got too dang hot this afternoon, to be outside, my thermometer said 113 on the side of house! I'll see how much I can get done in the am, before the heat hits again.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

24:1 mix is 5.3333333 ounces of oil per gallon. 8 ounces is 16:1

Dump a quart of oil in a 6 gallon tank of gas with it filled completely, that will give you 24:1

wbeaton

Commander

90-95 psi is acceptable. I've seen them running as low as 80 psi. 120 psi is about the top.

1956 is the last year of the 6V starting system. You can safely run the starter on 6V for short blasts, but the choke solenoid may burn up in very short order. I replace them with the newer 12V solenoids used on all 28-40 hp OMC's from 1957 on. Rope starting a Big Twin is easy enough if its in good running order. If its not, forget about it.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the parts manual.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

today I started removing parts from motor to replace and I need some help.

First the flywheel key was in 2 pieces, where can I get a new one?

second, I am putting a new seal kit in lower unit, and need to remove shift rod bushing to replace o ring, what is the easyest way to remove this bushing, without damaging it?

and third, how do you remove the timing advance assembly to replace coils, or do I need to remove it?

Thank you for your help, phil

kfa4303

Banned

Hi tonk62. Great old motor you got there. Nice catch on noticing the broken key. You can get new one online from various sites like ebay, aomci.com and possibly even here at iboats. You may even be able to scavenge one off of a donor motor if there's one available. The shift rod bushing is tricky to get too. You need a length of pipe/metal that is tapered at one end so that it can seat in the bushing a bit. You can then tap the bushing in/out of place. Lots o folks use lots of different gizmos to get at it. Here's a link from here at iboats about changing the LU seals in a 15hp, but the principals are the same http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=277190&highlight=lower+unit+seal+kit+installation. You need to remove the floywheel to get at the Magneto and coils. You'll need a flyhwheel puller with 3 GRADE 8, 1/4 x 20 bolts. Once removed you should be able to see and replace the coils as needed. Be sure to TWIST the coils onto the spark plug wires. The plate itself is rotated from the throttle via the tiller handle which then turns a vertical throttle tower on the the left side of the motor, which is then connected to an arm on the underside of the magneto. There should be a shiny metal clip that connects the vertical tower to the arm. Move it out of the way and the arm should lift off. Here's a great link for bringing these big twins back to life. It can show you how to do everything you need for a basic tune-up. http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm
Good luck.

tonk62

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info kfa, I had no trouble removing the flywheel, it lifted right off. I have tried a search on iboats parts for new woodriff key, flywheel key, nothing comes up, any help on locating one would be appreciated very much.