2002 johnson 30hp idle/low end power problem

matt922

Recruit
So i have a 30hp johnson 2 stroke that I've had since new and it has been running like absolute crap lately.

To get it started it requires abusing the electric start and playing with the throttle. It only seems to run in Neutral if i crank the throttle wide open and ease off little by little and even then it wont make it down to a nice idle speed.

It all seemed to start out by backfiring at lowish rpm(no wake zones) and instantly dying. Now it runs like crap under half throttle. I managed to drive it on the trailer last time as i usually do, but it didn't have the power it usually does to get it all the way up the trailer.

I have taken the boat out ~5-6 times this season and at the beginning of the season it ran WAY better than it did now. So far i have replaced the plugs, drained the bowl, and taken the plastic fuel inlet cover off the carb and blindly sprayed some carb cleaner.

The motor has 60-75 hours on it i'd say.

Thanks in advance

matt922

Recruit
Re: 2002 johnson 30hp idle/low end power problem

to shed some more light, it seems to only run at 80%+ throttle with the water ears on...

also it is puking out oil all over the lower foot/skeg

anyone?

jasper60103

Commander

Welcome aboard.

Well, spraying carb cleaner into the carb won't clean it. You have to remove the carb to give it a proper cleaning. Not hard to do. Do you intend on working on this engine yourself? You'll need to do some homework, and getting a service manual is a good start.
No offense, but please don't throttle it up on muffs like that, or abuse the electric start. You'll only end up with a bigger repair bill.
Knowledgeable folks here are glad to help.

matt922

Recruit

I'm aware of what real starter abuse is, but it was kind of my way of saying "it never would've started with pull/recoil start"

I would've taken the carb off, but it requires taking the electric start off to remove the carb. But now, i'm glad i didnt.

Someone had to use my skiff to try and rescue me on a sailboat venture gone wrong.. i guess in the midst of that the idle adjustment screw was tampered with to the end of its adjustment in the wrong direction. I just went outside and within 5 seconds of fiddling around with the adjustment screw at the end of the tiller she fired up and ran like a charm. :D

Sometimes its the "no brainer" things that really get ya. :facepalm: