150 HP Johnson, removing linkage to pull lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice
So I was using this site as a reference http://www.bassboatcentral.com/johnrudetips.htm
My linkage looks different, I was also told by the johnson dealer, to remove the cotter pin and then turn the linkage a certain direction. Can anyone lend some advice? I do not want to screw anything up.

Attachments

• 2011-06-23_14.07.07.jpg
    2011-06-23_14.07.07.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 47

jchristi

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 150 HP Johnson, removing linkage to pull lower unit

take out the screw labeled "what is this screw" slide off the piece is screw is in, then slip the shift rod off, the lower unit will come down then

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, So i disconnect the shift rod, took out the proper bolts (left one in some so lower unit doesnt drop) and the lower unit wont even budge. It looks as if the lower unit was painted while still connected so im wondering if the many coats of paint is whats holding it together. Any suggestions?

Phil100

Cadet

hello, There is a total of 8 bolts that hold the lower together. 4- 9/16" on the outer casing and two above the prop where the trim plate is. One is behind the trim plate (need to remove 1/2" bolt to remove the trim plate to get to the 9/16" bolt). After removing the trim plate then you can get to the other 9/16" bolt and a 5/8" bolt. after removing these then remove the outer 4 leaving one in to secure the unit before dropping. but before you drop the unit you nee to remove the shift shaft screw that is between the lower carb and to the rear. you will see to brass looking screws. One is straight at you and the other is to the side. The one to the side is the one you want to release the shift shaft. this screw will have a slot on it for a regular screwdriver. Do not remove the other one. (no need. Once you remove that one you can now lower the final 9/16" bolt to drop the unit. when you drop the lower unit take a look at the shift shaft( the smaller rod and look at the curve in the shaft at the top. do not move this rod in either direction and take measurements of the length of rod from the housing to the center of the hole when the shaft is in neutral position. I hope this helps.

bkconlin

Cadet

I had to cut the paint with a razor knife at the seam to get them apart.

allmuckmojo

Seaman Apprentice

On point jcristi... I did have to loosen that screw in the picture, it released the shiftlinkage and with a couple taps I was able to slide it down. The piece shown has a pin that holds the rod in place. Dont forget to pull the cotterpin on the linkage and push the linkage inward to pull pin out further.

Attachments

• 2011-06-24_15.42.07.jpg
    2011-06-24_15.42.07.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 50

GPomeroy

Recruit
I just did this job on my 2004 150 hp Johnson. The above pic is essential to understand. Also, the following link on another forum has a great discussion.DON'T NEED A LINK TO ANOTHER SITE On my shifter linkage, even after you remove the cotter pin and loosen the bolt on the brass block it isn't enough to free the linkage pin. You must completely remove the bolt and slide off the brass block. The shifter rod pin is attached to the block so the shifter rod is now disengaged and you can drop the lower unit. To get to this bolt and linkage, you must remove the carburetor air cover, and it helps to remove a couple of fuel lines that are in the way. Very weird engineering design for a simple idea, maybe to discourage DIY backyard mechanics. But, you can do this!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, On my '98 Johnny 150HP, you pull the clevis pin, and slide the linkage left to free the shift rod. Real simple, just like the OEM service manual describes. I would expect your motors to use the same procedure.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just did this job on my 2004 150 hp Johnson. The above pic is essential to understand. Also, the following link on another forum has a great discussion. DON'T NEED A LINK TO ANOTHER SITE On my shifter linkage, even after you remove the cotter pin and loosen the bolt on the brass block it isn't enough to free the linkage pin. You must completely remove the bolt and slide off the brass block. The shifter rod pin is attached to the block so the shifter rod is now disengaged and you can drop the lower unit. To get to this bolt and linkage, you must remove the carburetor air cover, and it helps to remove a couple of fuel lines that are in the way. Very weird engineering design for a simple idea, maybe to discourage DIY backyard mechanics. But, you can do this!

Yes, he can do it. FOUR YEARS AGO! Closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.