72 Evinrude 100 HP will not crank over?

michaj

Recruit
Hi guys, I am new to the forum, and fairly new to boating. I purchased a 1971 Arrowglass boat, with an 100 hp starflite engine. The power pack was fried on it, and was able to find an aftermarket unit on ebay. After replacing the power pack as well as the coil, I put the key in and nothing happened. The battery was completely charged, and I'm fairly certain I hooked the power pack and coil up correctly. I am fairly mechanical but just don't quite know where to start. I don't hear any clicks from the starter solenoid. We were able to take jumper cables and short the solenoid, forcing the motor to crank. This did not start the motor however. Any help would be much appreciated. I was wondering if the key switch is out? idk? Thank you for any help!

PS- This engine has an electronic shifter? I have never seen such a thing, and wonder if this might be part of the problem?

Micha

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 72 Evinrude 100 HP will not crank over?

A power pack will not have any affect on the engine turning over. Did you check the main fuse above the terminal block in a black rubber tube, If it is good ,you are going to have to use a volt meter or test light and check the electrical system. Make sure that your battery cables are really clean and tight. On the starter solenoid you have a battery cable from the starter on one of the large posts, do you have battery voltage there? There are two small posts, when have someone hold the key to the start position, do you have battery voltage there? If so use a jumper wire and ground the other small post to a good ground, does the engine turn over? If so you have a safety switch problem. If you just get a click out of the solenoid, check the other large post with the cable going to the starter, do you have battery voltage there, if so you have a starter problem.