70hp evinrude steering wheel stuck

teddiego

Cadet
Can anyone tell me where to inject the grease for the steering cable and how to get the steering wheel unstuck. I just bought this boat and now the steering wheel wont move. and I don't have money for a new cable. Might I add iI am female and really need help...

singledoubt88

Seaman
Re: 70hp evinrude steering wheel stuck

To my knowledge there is no fixing a stuck steering cable. Only way to fix is to replace. When i inherited my project boat my wheel was stuck as well and I had to buy a new one. I bought mine from greatlakesskipper.com. Seemed to be the cheapest around, it was a no feedback rack and pinion set. Definitely check iboats as well!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

No grease zirks on the cable itself, the tilt tube should have some. Is the cable itself frozen or is it frozen in the tilt tube?

teddiego

Cadet

No grease zirks on the cable itself, the tilt tube should have some. Is the cable itself frozen or is it frozen in the tilt tube?

I'm not sure I was driving the boat and went to turn into my slip at the Harbor when the steering wheel stuck Since I purchased the boat I have had a hard time moving the steering wheel. I hate to admit it but I don't know what the parts are called. But it seems to steer ok in reverse before the steering wheel go stuck. Does anyone have any diagrams? so I could see where to put the grease What is the tilt tube and where is it located.

hidef

Lieutenant

See the diagram for reference only.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...rude&section=Exhaust+Housing-20"+Transom

Not knowing the year and model number of you 70 I used this one. There should be 4 grease fittings (number 2) to at the front of the motor next to the transom mounts. That is for the tilt tube or hinge (see number 38) that the motor tilts up and down on. You steering cable should connect through that on the right side of the outboard. On the left side there is a metal steering rod that connects the Steering arm assembly number 7 to the end of the steering cable ram. The others are on the right side of the motor on the swivel bracket to lubricate the steering arm assembly. You will need to disconnect the steering cable from the outboard where it is connected at the steering arm assembly. See if you can move the outboard back and forth if it moves the try moving the steering wheel if it doesn't the cable ram is frozen inside the tilt tube. You will need to spray penetrating lube around the ram to try and soak it into the tilt tube. Unfortunately the outboard might have to be removed from the boat to get the old ram out of the tube. Chances are the steering cable can't be saved.

teddiego

Cadet

Thanks, I will give it a shot and let you know what happens,

teddiego

Cadet

I think the year is 1985 anyway that is the year of the boat, 1985 charger, the motor has what looks similar to a door closure type device that has this mucky grease inside it . I have gotten the steering unstuck but it continues to give me problems, I haven't yet figured out how to get the cable off or if there is a cable. I will post pics tomorrow of the motor and the steering device on it.
Thanks for all the help

tocrazy2bme

Recruit
Teddiego or anyone listening, wondering if you got your boat fixed and how??? I am having the same problem with mine. Steering is locked. I disconnected the steering cable and tried to move the engine with my hands. No way was it gonna move! But the steering cable disconnected would move and the steering wheel would move the cable rod in and out of the black insulation on the cable. So the engine steering is locked the cable appears to be fine. I need help too! Please!! Did I mention I am a male :p

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I am sure the 2011 poster either has it fixed or junked it by now. You should start a new thread. But I'll give you a short answer anyhow. There is no easy way to fix yours. In fact, it is quite a chore. The thing has to come apart and be cleaned up. Not for the non-adventurist .

Last edited:

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
You may want to shoot loads of grease into the zerk fitting at the steering portion of your motor. It may dislodge some "GUNK" that is stopping it from steering. At this point, you have nothing to lose if you try it. It may not help, but the key word here is "MAY". Good luck!

rothfm

Ensign
To the 2nd poster. Agreed not for the faint of heart if its the motpr bracket swivel. Spent a few weeks ladt year removing motor, brackets and swivel to get to the upper and lower seals and bushings that swell and bind. Very difficult job with lots of stuck bolts. But the only way to do it. Alternative is to get a good used unit and swap them. Even that is a job. Good luck.