87 Johnson 120 Fuel Primer Solenoid

Onebigjp

Cadet
I have been searching several boards and have found similar problems, but nothing definitive. I have an 87 Johnson 120 on my Proline and when you depress the key to engage the primer you hear solenoid engage, but no fuel is sprayed out. The engine starts up on the first try out of the water, but no dice while in the water when the engine is cold. The neighbors are starting to complain about firing the engine up at 4:30 am in the middle of the week so I am looking for any suggestions to get it fixed. The carbs were just cleaned, new fuel tank and lines, non-ethanol fuel, yadda yadda. Any tips on where to start?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 87 Johnson 120 Fuel Primer Solenoid

You pulled the lines off at the manifold and energized the primer and no fuel came out of the lines? Replace/repair solenoid.

gadget66

Cadet

Do you have a manual override lever on the solenoid? Mine has this feature, I believe its there in case the solenoid is not working.... could confirm at least the valve is functioning and fuel can get through...

BKS72

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you can hear the solenoid clicking, its most likely doing what its supposed to electrically. Check the supply line to the primer and make sure the line isn't kinked. Pull the line off and verify that its getting fuel when you squeeze the primer bulb.

If its getting fuel to the primer, pull off the small lines and have somebody push the key in. You shuold get two streams of fuel out of the nipples on the solenoid.

If these checks are good, check for restrictions on the lines out of the primer and the fittings they connect to.

I would pull the cap off the primer and clean it also.

Onebigjp

Cadet

Thanks for the quick replies! I haven't pulled the fuel lines off yet, but something tells me something isn't hooked up right. I'm going through and having to re-wire almost the entire boat because the previous owner thinks electrical tape and speaker wire was the way to go fixing electrical problems. I guess I'll be tearing into the fuel primer system this weekend. Thanks again guys!