Evinrude 88 Water Pump Impeller Key 60 HP

bradlbennett

Cadet
Hi, I'm in process of installing a new water pump impeller and stumped on how the key fits.
It looks like it is made out of some type of plastic. OMC gave me two different sizes in the box with the kit. The shaft has a flat spot on it where the key sits. The key is flat on one side and 1/2 moon shape on the other side. They gave me the same size of key that came out.

Can someone tell me how the key fits? The origianl fell out when I removed it and I didn't see how it was installed.

The OMC water pump kit pt# is 0438602

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 88 Water Pump Impeller Key 60 HP

The plastic piece is just a cam type wedge that gets tighter as more force is applied. There should have been instructions if you got the complete kit, but this is pretty simple.

bradlbennett

Cadet

The cam wedge will fit either way and looks like it will be damaged if I put it in the wrong way. Does the thicker part of the cam carry the load?

No instructions, and lol, I'm sure it's simple if you've done one before.

Thanks,
Brad

ryguy1101

Seaman

If the 60HP is anything like the v4's, the driveshaft has a flat spot which doesn't indicate which way to place the key. However, the inside of the impeller itself will tell you which way the key must go. The impeller has a top and a bottom b/c there is a ring which must be on the topside in order for the impeller to slide down the driveshaft and over the key. Once you know which side is up, then the notch on the inside wall of the impeller should matches the curve of the half moon you referred to and therefore inidicates the correct position of the key. If not, then I apologize and the 60 must be different from my crossflow engines.

bradlbennett

Cadet

Yes it is like what you said ryguy1101. It's back together and runs great. Thank you all for your input!!

Chaser73

Recruit

1995 Evinrude 88 SPL - Sierra kit comes with a large white nylon 'key" and a smaller black one. Both did not fit on my shaft/impellar, so I went with the largest (white one). I am guessing the black one is for use in other models...maybe in combination with the white key???