Loss of Power 1977-85HP Evinrude

John Drew

Seaman
I cleaned out my carburetors last week and had my engine running great. It would pull back the skin on my cheeks.

I took the grandkids out today and it had no power. It would start, put when I shoved down the throtle it would not go any faster. I had two small boys and a girl in the boat. Not a lot of extra weight for a 85hp.

I thought I may have hooked up the sparkplug wires wrong when I was looking at the sparkplugs for their condition. The attached diagram is what I now have hooked up.

Also, when I throttle back to netural and it dies it will not start. I had to paddle back to the boat launch. Then after about 15 min it started again. Is there something I can do to get it going again. I tried WD40 but it did not help.

Attachments

• SPARKPLUG DIA.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: Loss of Power 1977-85HP Evinrude

Did you change anything between the time it ran well and it did not?

If so, what?

John Drew

Seaman
Re: Loss of Power 1977-85HP Evinrude

I looked at the throttle leaver box and it had vibrated loose from the boat. This caused the throttle cable to come out of it's socket.

Trying to solve the problem of quickly starting but wont start again after running. It looks like the choke is hooked up to the wrong terminal
When I turn the start key, it always ativates the choke when the engine turns during the start. Not when the key is on but only during the start, but does nothing when I push in the key.

The choke is connected to terminal 8 of the ten.

What terminal should it be connected to?