25hp Evinrude broken key new ignition switch

blindfury420

Recruit
Hello! I have a problem with the new and old ignition. Long story short, 1984 riviera cruiser with a 25 hp evinrude (77) was working fine, key broke in ignition and with some pliers key still worked. In the morning tried to get a key made but just decided on a new ignition.
Didn't buy from here, but it is this one http://www.iboats.com/Sierra-Ignition-Switch/dm/view_id.47122

My dad got home with part and decided to do it. He didn't label any wires before and must have mixed wires cause now even the old one wont work.
I'm assuming cause neither of us know how it was setup before. I have pics attached on how its wired back on old ignition but after the failed new ignition and mixed wires.
Does anyone know the correct way this should be wired? Also push button electronic choke and battery is fully charged.
I just don't know if the wires are correct like if previous owner just chose to use what color they had. I saw this reading around but wires don't match right,
Black wire = Connect to one "M" terminal (magneto)
Black wire = Connect to other "M" terminal (magnetio)
Green wire = Connect to "B" terminal (battery)
White wire = Connect to "S" terminal (solenoid)
Red wire = Connect to "C" terminal (choke
Am I gonna have to chase down each wire and then label, so color doesn't matter if it even is wrong?

Attachments

• IMG00305-20110621-1914.jpg
    IMG00305-20110621-1914.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00306-20110621-1915.jpg
    IMG00306-20110621-1915.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00307-20110621-1915.jpg
    IMG00307-20110621-1915.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00308-20110621-1915.jpg
    IMG00308-20110621-1915.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 25hp Evinrude broken key new ignition switch

Swap the green and red wires and see what happens.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Just make sure to keep the black wires on the M terminals. If you get power on them then "boom".

ronaldblaike

Cadet

Just make sure to keep the black wires on the M terminals. If you get power on them then "boom".

Hi tx1961whaler

I have a 1993 Evinrude Tracker 25, do not have a key, and was jumping it off on my 18' extra wide flat bottom that I installed it on the other day until I buy a new switch and the hot lead came loose from the coupler and did exactly what you mentioned not to do in that it touched the black wire hole in the coupler (M terminal) and now the motor will not turn over or give any response when jumping it (A + B to Run and A + B + S to Start (A=Red w/Blue Stripe, B=Violet, S=Yellow W/Red Stripe)). That said, what do you mean by boom, or in other words, what did I fry?

Thanks in advance
Ron

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Replacement keys for most OMC/BRP ignition switches are available from BRP Evinrude dealers.

ronaldblaike

Cadet

Replacement keys for most OMC/BRP ignition switches are available from BRP Evinrude dealers.

Thanks Jim

I did not realize that and thought I would have to buy a new switch.

Ron

ronaldblaike

Cadet

Hi tx1961whaler

I have a 1993 Evinrude Tracker 25, do not have a key, and was jumping it off on my 18' extra wide flat bottom that I installed it on the other day until I buy a new switch and the hot lead came loose from the coupler and did exactly what you mentioned not to do in that it touched the black wire hole in the coupler (M terminal) and now the motor will not turn over or give any response when jumping it (A + B to Run and A + B + S to Start (A=Red w/Blue Stripe, B=Violet, S=Yellow W/Red Stripe)). That said, what do you mean by boom, or in other words, what did I fry?

In case anyone else is looking for the same answer, through a lot of research and finally buying a down-loadable .pdf manual covering 1990-2001 1.25 to 70hp Evinrude-Johnson motors for $5.00 I think I have narrowed it down to a damaged charge coil. I guess I have to tear it down and test out the coil to verify this though. tx1961whaler, if you can verify this, it would be much appreciated!

Apparently this is a common problem that occurs when people try to wire in accessories off their key switches according to the manual, due to shorting after burning of the insulation because the wires can not carry the load due to insufficient wire size and accessories need to be routed directly off the (or a) battery source with fuse panels, fusible links, breakers, etc to the accessories, and not through the switch. Also use of incorrect switches is apparently noted to be a common problem because the manual states never to use an automotive switch due to it working in reverse of a marine switch in that a marine switch closes the circuit between magneto and ground when the switch is in the off position.

Just thought I would contribute by sharing this in case any other minnows like myself happen to read this. ;-)

Ron

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the information, I am sure it will help others in the future.

ronaldblaike

Cadet

No local Evinrude dealer could supply me with a replacement key so I had to figure out the correct colors of the existing keyswitch as the keysitch I purchashed did not have the correct correct color coding. I can provide the methode to test a switch for the wires functions if you need it if you let me know.

Anyway here is some info that may be of some use: If interested on a 1993 Evinrude Keyswitch (not on the control) for a Tracker 25 motor model TE25ELETC here is the correct keyswitch color spec's thru trial and research (not listed in manual):

B= Battery-Connects to battery via battery via battery via fuse - Color - Red - w/Purple (or Violet Stripe depending on your vision)
I=Ignition-Connects to Engine Ignition - Color - Purple (or Violet depending on your vision)
S=Start-Connects to Engine Starter solenoid coil - Color - Yellow w/Red Stripe
C=Choke-Connects to Engine primer solenoid coil - Color - Purple (or Violet depending on your vision) w/White Stripe
M=Magneto-Connects to ignition kill circuit - Color - Black w/Yellow Stripe
M=Magneto -Connects to engine chassis or battery negative - Color - Black

Hope this helps someone as the manual only lists 1996 or later diagrams and I had to figure this one out for myself and I want to help any minnows like myself out there.

Ron

ronaldblaike

Cadet

P.S. If you have read my posts in this thread about my mishap, I may have fried a rectifier that is inline prior to the charge coil according to the mechanic I talked to today. Only testing will verify this. I will keep you posted though. Hopefully my "boom" is minor :) Even if not, it appears that the mishap will cost me less than $50.00 which is not too bad. :)

Ron

Haffiman

Commander

I believe the worst you may have fried is the fuse on the engine.
However a simple Google search and 'images' would probably have given you the answers. All versions are there.

ronaldblaike

Cadet

I believe the worst you may have fried is the fuse on the engine.
However a simple Google search and 'images' would probably have given you the answers. All versions are there.

Thanks Haffiman, I will let you know if you are right and am hoping you are.

I have used Google and found some part diagrams and exploded views for ignition systems and related circuits at a couple of part vendor sites that I initially found using Google Image search and agree with your advice.

Google image search results are slim on this particular engine (Model: TE25ELETC)/(Tracker 25) though and hadn't found much on wiring or schematics for a 93 model. As a matter of fact, the manual I bought does not even have the keyswitch wire color coding for a 93 model but rather for 96 and later models for some reason which is slightly different. It does contain the rest of the schematics/diagrams for it though. When I could not get a replacement key locally here as suggested by another member and had to buy a replacement switch that required splicing the wires to my old harness as it did not use screw connectors but rather had molded pre-connected wires of different colors, I had to use an Ohmmeter to test out the new switch to ascertain its wires functions and then remove all the old glue off the back of my old switch to reveal the letters on the back of the switch and then write down the wire colors attached to each of the terminals because the colors were slightly different than everything I found doing Google Image and Web searches. The differences were minor but still caused me to question things and be uncertain.

Thanks for your advice and I will track down the location of the fuse in that Engine Ignition Kill Circuit (Black w/yellow stripe) Wire and test it out for continuity.

Ron

Haffiman

Commander

It is only one fuse at the engine:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Cable+Assembly
The color codes have been the same for decades, but there are boat builders not using the OMC extension cables but their own and with different colors. Makes it sometimes a bit tricky.
It is no fuse in the kill circuit, only in the B+ close to starter solenoid.
If you have run B+ in the black/yellow kill circuit, you may have 'killed' the power pack.

ronaldblaike

Cadet

It is only one fuse at the engine:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Cable+Assembly
The color codes have been the same for decades, but there are boat builders not using the OMC extension cables but their own and with different colors. Makes it sometimes a bit tricky.
It is no fuse in the kill circuit, only in the B+ close to starter solenoid.
If you have run B+ in the black/yellow kill circuit, you may have 'killed' the power pack.

Hi Haffiman

Thanks for the link and info!

I will check the fuse tomorrow hopefully if Lee doesn't rain me out. I checked at Marineengine.com and it looks like the power pack will run around $72.xx to $89.xx if that is what I fried. Slightly expensive oops for having that wire come loose when I was bypassing the switch and jumping it off! :-( Oh well, I won't make that mistake again and have learned a lot because of it. :)

Ron

whiskerchasin

Seaman Apprentice

i was messin with my key switch last week and blew the fuse on the back of the motor. I didnt see an arc or hear a "boom". I learned a lesson though: disconnect battery before messing with wiring.

Im with Haffiman, check your fuse.

ronaldblaike

Cadet

Hi Haffiman and Whiskerchasin, Daviet & Jim

Couldn't wait and braved the dark and rain and went out and found the fuse and sure enough, it was blown, so hopefully that is all I fried.

Thank you Haffiman for all your guidance and info on this and thanks to everyone else who has provided me input and info.

I will keep you all posted. Probably have to wait till Tuesday to purchase one of these oddball 32 Volt short fuses though unless an Auto Parts Store carries them.

I will check my local Autozone and Advance Autoparts tomorrow to see if they carry them.

Ron

ronaldblaike

Cadet

Update: Had replaced the fuse and still had no response from engine when turning new keyswitch using charged battery and checking to ensure new fuse hadn't blown. Have been ill though and haven't done anything since. Intend to unplug Black w/Yellow Stripe wire from powerpack and see what happens then and go from there. Will keep you posted after I try that after feeling better.

Ron

Haffiman

Commander

Some of the older ones had a 'safety' switch on the engine preventing from engaging the starter when in gear.
Se #63 on below:
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...urer=Johnson&section=Cylinder+&+Crankcase
That means you may have one switch in the remote and another on the engine.
Forget about the black/yellow, has nothing to do with starter function.
Time to pull out the multimeter and check from ignition switch- through switch in remote -through switch on engine - to starter relay -to starter
Just follow the 'yellow/red' cable.
With key on 'start' it should be 12 Volts in the yellow/red all the way.

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer

Just thought I'd throw in a note here for lost or broken keys. I've learned to do impressions using a blank and nothing but a file and can make keys for most boats in just a few minutes. A bud is a lock smith and taught me how. If you break off a key you can get it started back out of the switch with a gem clip bent on the end then pull it the rest of the way out with a pair of needle nosed pliers.. then take the pieces to any hardware store or lock smith that carries the correct blanks and they can cut you a new one in a jiffy for a couple of bucks. If you've got a local locksmith just take the switch to them and they can do an impression and make one for less than the price of a new switch... if it's a big time lock company they'll charge you through the nose. I'd call for a price before I took one to a lock smith I don't know.