Two stators gone bad in one week. 1991 Johnson 120

AS19-1

Seaman Apprentice
1991 Johnson 120 Hp. Two weeks ago went out fishing when I went to pull anchor engine would not start. No spark had to be towed home. Performed test for stator per service manual and failed tests. Resistance was reading open and no voltage. Picked up a used stator installed and tested was within specs. Took boat over to a nearby canal for a test run and engine ran great. Tried to go fishing on Saturday and engine ran fine then after about an hour of running engine quit. No spark again!!! Once again had to be towed home. Thank god for my tow membership. Checked stator at home and the new(used) stator also failed. What could be causing the stators to go bad. Do you think the used stator was just on its way out or could something be damaging them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Two stators gone bad in one week. 1991 Johnson 120

I don't trust used parts 'cause I've seen this happen before. You could contact CDI Electronics at 1-866-423-4832 and ask them. Very good people there.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Was the rectifier/regulator any good?

AS19-1

Seaman Apprentice

Yes rectifier checked out good. Could a bad rectifier damage a stator? Dont want to buy another stator if something is causing it to fail. Thanks

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Check the battery leads, plus any ground connections.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer

I had something similar happen to my stator and timer base....found a broken ground wire on one of the powerpacks. Not noticable as the break was under the heat shrink tube for the terminal... found it by physically unbolting the ground wire of the power packs and noticing the terminal being floppy.