1993 Johnson 150 Fast Strike blows fuse when switch turned 'on'

carlcath

Cadet
My 1993 Johnson 150 Faststrike blows the main fuse as soon as the remote ingition switch is placed in the on position. I have visually inspected the wireing and there are no visable shorts in the engine compartment.
It has been doing this intermittently for several months now. I would replace the fuse and it again runs for several weeks, then blows again. Finally it seems to be a permanent problem at last.

It is not the starter since it blows before the started is engaged. I have taken the remote control apart several times and nothing there is obviously wrong. None of the wires on the ingition switch appear to physically touch ground but I taped them anyway just to be sure.

I would appreciate some suggestions on troubleshooting steps with a voltmeter or ohmmeter to try to track this down.

I do have the official manual and the wireing diagram but nothing there identifies what the parts are. If the fuse is where I think it is on the diagram, and if TNT stands for tilt and trim, then it appears the fuse only goes to the TNT circuit and that is clearly not true. When that fuse is blown, there is no power to the starter either.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Carl

carlcath

Cadet
Re: 1993 Johnson 150 Fast Strike blows fuse when switch turned 'on'

I finally found a post dated nov 21 2010 that addressed this exact problem with a lot of help and links to wireing diagrams and color codes on wires.