Amp install 1970 johnson 60hp

Dconklin

Cadet
Si im trying to install this new amp for my 60esl70d and am kind confused the instructions tell me to disconect the points wires from the points and points plate and then conect the black and white wire to the points, then the black to the points plate. does anybody happen to have a diagram or photo of what exactly im sopsed to disconnect? i new to the boat stuff and dont wanna screw anything up anymore then it is. thanks for your help.

Dconklin

Cadet
Re: Amp install 1970 johnson 60hp

I have figured out i hope where to wire the points wire and points plate wire into. i have connected the blue coil wire, that leaves me the red wire to connect and then i have 2 wire's comming of the motor's wire harness? One i guess might be the wire i connect the red to but what could the other be??

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Sorry, can't help you out, never done one of those conversions. Maybe you could call the maker of the kit for help.

Dconklin

Cadet

Yea, i figured out where the red wire connects too and the gray wire would be a tach wire. Got it all hooked up the way i believe it goes and now i can't get anything to happen no spark no turn of the motor. Looks like it might be time to sell a kidney to pay for a mechanic.

702Marine

Recruit

Any updates with this. I'm getting ready to go through this problem as well and I'm a little blind as to how to go about it... Also how much did you pick up the part for?

Dconklin

Cadet

Any updates with this. I'm getting ready to go through this problem as well and I'm a little blind as to how to go about it... Also how much did you pick up the part for?

The part Cost me about $280. And to install once figured out was pretty easy. Basicly one of the wires is a ground, and the other connects to the points.

702Marine

Recruit

The part Cost me about $280. And to install once figured out was pretty easy. Basicly one of the wires is a ground, and the other connects to the points.

Do you think you might be able to send me a couple reference pics just so I'm not going into this completely blind.

Thanks,

Dconklin

Cadet

Do you think you might be able to send me a couple reference pics just so I'm not going into this completely blind.

Thanks,

I don't have the boat here to snap a photo but once you get the stator off and are looking at the distributor there will be 2 wires comming up in to that area one goes to the points and the other is a ground or something like that but im not
too sure. the wire that goes to the right into the points comes off and the wire from your new amp gets attached to that. There should be an obvious ground to the left of all that on the distributor thats where your other wire bolts too.If you are able to snap a photo and post it i could show you a little better.