Water in Cylinders. 55 Hp. Evinrude

puck924

Cadet
Bolted on (a new to me) powerhead, a 1977 Evinrude (looper) 55 Hp. Great compression both cylinders, 135 psi. It started right away ran for a little while.... quit, would not start again. I know the carbs are good. Their off my 1977 55 hp. Johnson. Lots of white smoke coming out of the exhaust while cranking. I suspect water is finding its way into the cylinders. Thought it may be a blown head gasket... I split the head and there definitely was evidence of water there... as I slowly rotate the flywheel a bubble will form across the exhaust port inside the cylinder. Yet the head gasket appeared to be in good shape. So most likely coming in somewhere else. Any ideas on what the most likely location/culprit of water entering the cylinders may be?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Water in Cylinders. 55 Hp. Evinrude

About the only places I can think of for water to get in the cylinders is the head gasket or the exhaust gaskets. I guess you could have a crack or sand hole somewhere.

puck924

Cadet

I'm in agreement with you I'm thinking exhaust gasket.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Let us know what repairs fix your problem.

puck924

Cadet

I'm putting in a new exhaust gasket today. Put in a new head gasket last night. see it that solves the problem.