1989 140hp Evinrude Won't Idle - idles rough

Kim1349

Cadet
I have a 140hp Evinrude OB with the VRO E140TLCEB.
We are having fits trying to figure out why it is running the way it is.
It will start pretty well, sometimes coughing a couple times before starting.
I seems to run pretty good at a little higher RPM but will not idle without jerking and sputtering. If you leave it run a few minutes that way it will just die out. You can restart it just fine. Here is what we have done.
Compression checks - About 120 pounds on each cylinder with one at 110 and one 115.
New fuel (in a separate test tank bypassing all boat fuel filters and tank and connections.
New plugs (but after running they are very wet with gas/oil.
Adjusted linkages per manual.
Rebuilt all carbs since at first there was fuel dripping out the venturi when the squeeze bulb was pressed to prime. Now that does not happen as floats were adjusted and new parts installed.
We are thinking of checking fuel pressure next hoping it is not the VRO pump.
Is it possible it is the primer solenoid?
I am not able to run it well enough to do idle timing but I don't have a test wheel either. The timing has not been adjusted and the motor ran just fine before winter. What is your thought on the probable problem?
Thanks
Floyd

StephanZ

Recruit
Re: 1989 140hp Evinrude Won't Idle - idles rough

Do you have a fuel/water separator? Seems that the ethanol additive makes our fuel tanks condensate rapidly, adding water to our fuel and causing problems. If you do have the filter, I would direct your attention to the jets that might be clogged with a rubbery greasy residue also from the ethanol. It eats our fuel lines from the inside and coats the jets to where fuel can't pass. Good Luck!!

Kim1349

Cadet

Do you have a fuel/water separator? Seems that the ethanol additive makes our fuel tanks condensate rapidly, adding water to our fuel and causing problems. If you do have the filter, I would direct your attention to the jets that might be clogged with a rubbery greasy residue also from the ethanol. It eats our fuel lines from the inside and coats the jets to where fuel can't pass. Good Luck!!

As it turns out, you were part right. Ethanol has destroyed the VRO pump. Replaced it and all is well! Thanks

sruman

Cadet

I'm having similar problems with my '82 Johnson 150hp. Runs good once it's up and going, but it's a booger to start. Coughs, sputters around, idles very rough. Give it some gas, no issues. Carbs have been cleaned, no issues there. new plugs, timing set properly.

Interesting, that the fuel pumps/filters could be bad. I'm sure these haven't been changed in some time. Before spending the $$ on new pumps, is there any way to test the pumps before replacing. They are about $100 each......ouch..

Sander

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm having similar problems with my '82 Johnson 150hp. Runs good once it's up and going, but it's a booger to start. Coughs, sputters around, idles very rough. Give it some gas, no issues. Carbs have been cleaned, no issues there. new plugs, timing set properly.

Interesting, that the fuel pumps/filters could be bad. I'm sure these haven't been changed in some time. Before spending the $$ on new pumps, is there any way to test the pumps before replacing. They are about $100 each......ouch..

I'm not a 100% sure about your motor, but this is how I tested my fuel pump on a 71Erude.

Take off the pump to carb line at the pump end. Put in a temporary hose into a container. Crank the motor into that and watch the flow.
Strong consistent spurts = pump O.K.
Strong spurts tapering off = failing pump
Dribbles to nothing = Failed Pump.
Use the muffs to save the impeller though.

Credit goes to kenmyfam for those instructions.