1971 Evinrude 100 hp correct battery?

flintcam

Cadet
I just put in a new CDI power pack but apparently deep cycle batteries, auto batteries, maintenance free and dry cell batteries can burn the CD module out again, I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of battery can be purchased that would work with this power pack?

etracer68

Ensign
Re: 1971 Evenrude 100 hp correct battery?

I have not heard of any battery that could burn out a CDI, or any power pack, I would use a Starting/Deep Cycle battery, the bigger the better, generally about $80.00.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your motor has the battery CD system with an amplifier, not a "power pack". With that cleared up, the amplifier gets its power from the battery / alternator system. The charging system is not voltge regulated, the battery being the only control over the voltage. It is thought that that is the problem that kills the amplifier, and the battery type may have some effect on the voltage. At some point in history, they did say not to use maintenance free batteries.

Personally, my opinion is that if it is a known problem, then why aren't the mfrs of the new amplifiers including some sort of input voltage regulation within the amplifier? It could be done with a couple of dollars worth of parts. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't doing it, I dunno. Seems like a gross irresponsibility not to.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally i don't like maintenance free batteries, just a personal preference. your starter will draw about 300 Cranking amps, so get a battery with 700 or over. i would also get one with a reserve capacity of 100 minutes or more.

my old boat with a 1977 140HP johnson, i used 800 Cranking amps (the started was a bosch rated at 350 CA), never had a problem

my latest BOAT (Break out another Thousand) has a 1986 120 HP, i use 1000 Cranking amps with 115 minute reserve.

i would also recommend a good name brand, the better manufacturers use a better plate design.

Just my two cents

cheers

flintcam

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice and clearing up the power pack and amplifier issue.

Just for the record CDI Electronics states "DO NOT USE A MAINTAINENCE FREE, DRY CELL OR AGM BATTERY WITH ANY BATTERY DRIVEN CD UNIT".

Doesn't sound like there is much choice left.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

There are still some made with the fill plugs on top
36868.jpg

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yup, Up here Canadian tire sells a brand. the cells should be checked seasonally and topped up with distilled water to the bottom of the plastic flange the fill plug sits it. NO HIGHER.

cheers

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just put in a new CDI power pack but apparently deep cycle batteries, auto batteries, maintenance free and dry cell batteries can burn the CD module out again, I am wondering if anyone knows what kind of battery can be purchased that would work with this power pack?

Glad some chined in cause i think this is about all batteries, whats left?

On the latter post you listed others, i think the deepcycle i got at advance had caps on it to check, i will have to look?