find , troubleshoot,replace or repair johnson 140 vro alarm/horn

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just bought above 1987 motor that came on the boat I wanted. It has a new4wire fuel pump that I understand also pumps the oil. There is no chirp when starting the motor with the key, should there be one indicating its working? I dont know where its at anyway. Any help appreciated.

rtek816

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: find , troubleshoot,replace or repair johnson 140 vro alarm/horn

Should chirp when you turn the key on (only the first time, must have a cap delay). Easiest test is groud 1 of the temp sense wires on 1 of the overheat thermos on the top of the head (brown wire?). Should get a steady beep. The horn is buried up under your console most likely. Get a manual and get it fixed. It's a thirsty beast and full of torque. You won't be disappointed when it runs and monitors its oil as expected.

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for response but in your ans.what do you mean only once & a cap. Also my neighbor claims the noisemaker is a little cylinder module on the control box??Ground wires & the sensors are at this point greek to me . I do plan on a manual for sure. Can you simplify your ans. for me?? Thanks again.

emoney

Commander

Not going to speak for him, so let him weigh in for total clarity, but I'd expect part of what he's saying is it will only chirp the first time you turn the key to "on". Your neighbor is partly correct as older models (like mine) did have the "buzzer" built into the controls. However, I also understand that later models have this little speaker under the dash. It looks like a mini speaker cover when you spot it. If it's on your controls, it will be in front of the key, below the "warm up" lever.

Manual is the only way to go because you definitely want it to be working. That little buzzer has saved many a motor (mine included).

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help, I think am on track with this repair, seems like every thing I try to use on this motor is broke or missing. I will be back.....

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found the horn, in the control box aka shift box and remote. Anyway tested it, didnt sound and replaced ( the kit comes with directions for three applications) very easy fix with the instructions included and now works as it should. Thanks for the help. Dave