1998 Evinrude Vindicator check engine alarm ?

Just bought a stratos with a 98 200hp evinrude vindicator on it, took it out for the first time yesterday and when I get it up on plane at wot the check engine light comes on and the alarm sounds. It idles perfectly and shifts smoothly too. This only happens when I am running wot up on plane. I have lots of water spraying out of the telltale or pisser as i like to call it. I have no idea how long the boat has sat at the dealer. The gas tank was on E so I filled it up coming home with it before we took it out, the oil resivoir was half full to three quarters. At one point it started cutting out on me at wot but then it would settle back down and run smooth again. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1998 Evinrude Vindicator check engine alarm ?

Check engine light is for a fuel restriction. Check all your hoses and filters make sure there are no leaks. Also don't forget to check the fuel pickup screen in the tank to make sure that is clean and the tank is properly vented.

Re: 1998 Evinrude Vindicator check engine alarm ?

update: I looked the engine over and took the plastic cover off of the front of the carbs. Everything was bright and shiny in the carbs. Checked all the fuel lines and could not find any evidence of fuel leakage. So today we took it back out and tried to run it a little to see if maybe the first run was not so great because it possibly sat for a while. It started right up and idled perfectly, we idled out of the no wake zone and as soon as I stepped on the gas to get it up on plane the alarm went sounded and the check engine light came on and then it started cutting and going cutting and going. It did this for quite sometime. So I put the trolling motor down and fished for a little while thinking of what I could check. We fished for about a half an hour then I decided to give it another shot. So I start it up and it idles perfect again. With it in neutral I reved it up to about 3000 rpms and held there for a few seconds, left the rpms fall back down to idle and then shifted into gear and took off, this time the alarm sounded but the engine did not cut and it planed right out and ran perfect, so I figured maybe something that was obstructing a fuel hose has finally freed up. So we ran around for quite sometime stopped a few times and left it idle in neutral and it would plane right out again and run like it was brand new. Now here is the part I don't get, I shut it off and left it sit for about 3 minutes started it back up and went to take off and the alarm sounded and it began cutting out again going cutting again and going. After that I put it on the trailer and came home. So do you all think it is still a fuel problem ? Thanks for any and all advice in advance. Have a great day. -Jason