1987 Johnson 4.0 Deluxe Cooling Question

ricktga

Recruit
Hello Folks,

I have a 1987 Johnson 4.0 Deluxe outboard (Model J4RDHCUD) that I am reviving after it sat on the back of one of my sailboats since the last millenium.

My budget is EXTREMELY tight, which is why I haven't gotten a manual yet, so I'm trying to get things done as cheaply as possible.

After dosing it with some PB Blaster small engine tune-up stuff per can directions, and adding some "mechanic in a bottle" to a fresh mix of gas & oil, and cleaning the plugs, that sweetheart started on the 3rd or 4th pull!.

I've got it mounted on a sawhorse with the lower unit in a huge bucket (30 - 40 gal.?).

The only place I've seen water exiting is from the exhaust port at the top rear of the unit, where it is like a spray/spitting type flow, and from two holes about where the lower unit joins the shaft. The holes are at the front on either side. That flow is more of a pulsing/spitting type thing.

I've been monitoring the motor temp by feel, and even after 10 - 15 minutes running at various speeds, I haven't felt any areas that are untouchable hot.

My question is:
Does anyone know if what I have described is the normal operation of the cooling system on this particular model?
I'd appreciate any and all responses to my question.

Thanks in advance,
Rick Trahan

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 Johnson 4.0 Deluxe Cooling Question

Sounds to me like you have it figured out, misting out of the exhaust ports is what youare looking for.

Rick.

Captain

I agree. There should be eight holes not two. Make sure the leg is well submerged in the bucket. I know my 71 has no thermostat. I doubt yours does either. Best of luck. Rick.

ricktga

Recruit

1st off, thanks for the replies.
But I must admit to being confused by your reply, Rick...
"eight holes, not two" - are you saying that my motor should have eight holes from which the cooling water would be exiting?
Where would I look for the six I seem to be missing?
are they below the two I described, and therefore submerged and not apparent?
I look forward to clarification.
Once again, Thanks in advance.
Rick Trahan

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
go to youtube.com and type johnson 4 hp delux and watch a vid, and look how water is discharged

Rick.

Captain

1st off, thanks for the replies.
But I must admit to being confused by your reply, Rick...
"eight holes, not two" - are you saying that my motor should have eight holes from which the cooling water would be exiting?
Where would I look for the six I seem to be missing?
are they below the two I described, and therefore submerged and not apparent?
I look forward to clarification.
Once again, Thanks in advance.
Rick Trahan

If yours has two my apologies. Mine has eight. I thought you might have some plugged. The holes I'm referring to on my 71 are maybe ten inches down from the power head on the back side of the leg. They do spit and mist water out but nothing as full and steady as a tell tale. Again I am sorry for the confusion. Not sure why they would go from eight to two but the important thing is the misting, not the hole count. You would have to have a great deal of water up the leg for them to be submerged. Now I'm going to follow racekp1 and look on you tube to see how these modern 4HP's delux's discharge water. Rick.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

hi.
i have been working on this model.water is discharged threw 2 palces, 1-hole in botom (pee hole)of powehead and 2- threw midsection

in photo beelow:1 , and 1' pee hole
use som wire to clear this pee hole

here is bear powerhead vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5faCV8pYkc

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0

Rick.

Captain

I guess over 16 years they made a few changes. Why would they? My 71 is perfect. LOL. Rick.