omc powerhead removal

SeaBob

Cadet
Hi,
I'm STUCK or should I say the powerhead is.
I've taken all the nuts and bolts it says in the Clymer book to remove the powerhead but it is not moving at all.
I've attached a picture showing the main bolts I've removed there was also the gear shift linkage and the exhaust cover etc. I have an engine hoist hooked to the engine, using a rope as I haven't got the lifting eye in the book, and it won't move not even a little bit.
My old man has taken to beating it with a hammer and crowbar, I don't know if he thinks he's helping or just releasing his own built up tension.
Does anybody have any suggestions. If I raise the engine hoist any more I will lift the transom off the trailer. Surely the gasket / corrosion couldn't stick it that tight could it?
PLEASE HELP
Cheers
Pete

Attachments

• omc powerhead bolts.jpg
    omc powerhead bolts.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 0

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: omc powerhead removal

Ya better post the year, model, HP, etc., all about the motor if you want some accurate help. Just sayin'.

SeaBob

Cadet

Engine model and serial number are
OMC seadrive 1.6l
SER: 1861919
MOD: 2BAXCOM

I forgot to mention that I haven't removed the VRO pump. I have disconnected the petrol and oil pipes and now its only connected to the carbs. I assume it will lift off with the powerhead.
It's not moving at all. I can see where it will split but theres no movement. When I left it last night I hoisted it a little to put pressure on it but it's still the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Assuming, and I stress the word, but assuming all the nuts and bolts are out, the studs are probably siezed in their holes. That would be the studs that you removed nuts from.

That is a problem. And I don't have a good solution for it.

levi_tsk

Ensign

go buy a mapp gas torch and heat up those studs theyre only about 15 bux and worth every penny i agree with f_r those studs are stuck in there

while your heating it put some tension on it with your engine hoist it may pop loose but if not quench it with water until its cold again reheat and repeat it may take several heating and cooling cycles but it WILL come loose eventually if after 5 or 6 heating and cooling cycles it still doesnt budge put the nuts back on a little heat it up and tap up on them with a hammer

also make sure youre hoist is getting a good straight pull on the powerhead an inch or so to one side or the other will put those studs in a bind and it wont come out

SeaBob

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. I will try the heat treatment tomorrow. The engine model might be different as I also forgot to mention I'm in the UK.
Anyway with my enthusiasm rekindled I will set to work with the blow torch and post pics of the Viking funeral.

levi_tsk

Ensign

doesnt matter... corrosion is corrosion be it in the uk or the usa its still a PITA :D