1966 Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp - Rebuilt carb - Still runs terrible!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've got a '66 Fisherman 6hp. It was given to me so I first checked the compression and measured about 85 lbs in both cylinders. I got it running but couldn't keep it going. I rebuilt the carb with a new kit. Cleaned it to the best of my ability, put in new needle, seat, float, gaskets, welsh plug, and leveled the float. Backed the low speed needle out 1 1/2 turns and it still runs terrible. To keep it going after I start it, I have to give it quite a bit of throttle. It will hesitate for a few seconds and then surge up. I'll turn the throttle down and after a couple of second delay, it will slow down and then usually stall. I've tried adjusting the low speed in 1/8 increments and it just doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I just can't get it to idle smooth enough or run long enough to fine tune it.

This is hard to explain but when I took the low speed needle out, the very tip of it was bent. The needle itself wasn't bent but just the very tip if that makes sense. Looking at the overall shape of the tip, it still looks like it's in good shape so I took some emory cloth and smoothed that little hook off of the end. Should I just replace the needle?

I read on a different thread someone had trouble with his motor surging and couldn't figure it out. He ended up replacing his plugs with NGK and he said that it fixed it?? Looking up NGK plugs, it looks like B6S would be the correct ones. Is that right?

I'm also going to get a gear puller to take the flywheel off and take a look at the coils. Someone suggested that I see if they're possibly cracked.

Still trying to figure this out. Any suggestions / help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1966 Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp - Rebuilt carb - Still runs terrible!

Well first of all, if the low seed idle screw was bent, should have been replaced regardless. Pryor to overhauling carb, were the points ever checked?
Champion J4J

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

It takes timed spark, compression and fuel to make your engine run. The compression should be ok. You rebuilt the carb, hopefully all is ok there. What about spark, will it jump a 1/4" gap and is it bright blue?
It could be running on one cylinder, by checking the spark it will tell you if you need to pull the flywheel.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pulled the flywheel and took a look around. It looks like someone has replaced the points, condensors, and coils. Everything looks like it's in good shape. I set the points at .020. Next, I'm going to get a spark tester and check the spark. I'm also going to get new plugs and low speed needle. Question about the plugs. Looking at the Champion chart, it shows for 1966 6 hp Fisherman, the plugs should be J8C. Monte1961, you're suggesting I get J4J. Am I missing something?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I pulled the flywheel and took a look around. It looks like someone has replaced the points, condensors, and coils. Everything looks like it's in good shape. I set the points at .020. Next, I'm going to get a spark tester and check the spark. I'm also going to get new plugs and low speed needle. Question about the plugs. Looking at the Champion chart, it shows for 1966 6 hp Fisherman, the plugs should be J8C. Monte1961, you're suggesting I get J4J. Am I missing something?

No...you're not....;)...J4J has not been available for a long time ....current plug rec is J6C.

Would not suggest J8c...way too hot.

Many people are not big on NGK plugs in OMC O/Boards.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, Tim

Just to clarify, the Champion chart shows to use J8C but you think that's too hot and to run a J6C, correct? Gap at .030?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Please allow me to rewrite! I always use what manufacture recommends. If not available, Get equivalent! Always got to be politically correct around here!

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, here's the latest. I replaced the low speed needle - Backed it out 1 1/2 turns. Checked the spark with a tester and I get a good blue spark 1/4 inch +. Put in new plugs - Champion J6C and gapped to .030 - Still runs like crap. Can't keep it idling. Surges up, slows down, then dies.

Took the plugs out when it died and they're soaked in gas! So is it getting too much fuel? Sure seems like it to me. If so, it's back to the carb, right? When I rebuilt the carb, I set the float to be even with the body of the carb. When I reassembled, I could manually blow air into the intake. I flipped the carb over and I couldn't blow into the intake. That tells me the needle and seat are working. What in the world am I missing? Seriously confused and frustrated. :confused::confused:

Thanks again for your help.

BTW, what is the correct way to do a compression test on this motor? Just want to make sure. Thanks.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Compression test= remove the spark plug and ground plug wires to block. Screw in the compression tester and pull recoil rope about 6 times, move the compression tester to the other cylinder and repeat.
When you rebuilt the carb you did replace the gasket around the high speed nozzle, correct?

lindy46

Captain

And did you remove the welch plug on top of the carb and clean the idle circuit underneath there? Those tiny holes can plug up and cause your symptoms.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did. It was a red washer (maybe fiber?)

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did take that welsh (?) plug out and cleaned it. And when I put the plug back in, I sealed it with fingernail polish.

Last edited:

lindy46

Captain

Sounds like you've done/checked everything. I had a 1956 5.5hp Johnson that pretty much did the same thing. I rebuilt the carb - had it apart several times and couldn't get the motor to run properly. I even replaced the leaf plate, and she still idled like crap and surged and died. I finally ended up replacing the carb, and it purred like a kitten. I assume the old carb had an internal hairline crack somewhere which caused the problems.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I'm pretty frustrated. I'd really like to figure out why there is so much extra fuel in the cylinders. It's got to be a float needle thing, right?

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

on the carb, does this one also have the boss gasket (thick one that goes over the high speed nozzle)? From the description given (red washer) I am curious if the boss gasket may have been overlooked, provided that carb uses it. On my 61, 5.5 that engine would suck gas if that was left out.

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it does and yes I replaced it.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

What were the compression numbers?

It sounds like you have done all of the normal stuff to troubleshoot the motor.
I would now be looking into crankcase leaks, intake and/or reed valve problems or a cracked carb if you have good, even compression, good spark on a spark tester, and a clean carb.

levi_tsk

Ensign

imal step in right here and tell you that even a j6c is too hot if your doing alot of wide open throttle runs and that i run j4c's in mine and have yet to fouled any plugs ....

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did another compression test and something kind of strange happened. The first time that I did it on the top cylinder, I only got it up to about 75 lbs. Did the bottom cylinder and it came in at 90 lbs. I did the top cylinder again and it came in at 90 lbs. Does that give you any kind of hint or does that sound like user error?

tx1961whaler, you mention that I should start looking for other stuff including a cracked carb. I haven't seen any type of leak on the current one. Is there a way to pressure test it or something? And maybe pressure test the crankcase or something?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Are both plugs gas fouled or is the bottom worse than the top?