1975 25 hp Evinrude oil mix ratio

Crosby77

Cadet
I wanted to know if im using the correct ratio. For 6 gallons of gas i use 16ounces of oil. But on the bottle it says 6.25 gallons of gas to 16ounces of oil. Ive been having a probelm just before wot, the engine makes a loud bogging sound and im assuming its running too lean. /i didnt know if it was due to my oil ratio or if an adjustment is off.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1975 25 hp Evinrude oil mix ratio

50:1, 1 pint of oil to 6 gallons of gas.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your ratio is correct, 16 oz. to 6 gallons. Your problem sounds like an adjustment thing... Maybe time for a link and sync. and a good carb cleaning.

Crosby77

Cadet

What is a link and sync? and is a carb cleaning something i can do or would a marine mechanic have to do that?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

I think the best thing would be to get a factory manual and do some reading and see if you think you can handle it.

levi_tsk

Ensign

you can handle it they are pretty straight forward you just need a can of carb dip a few simple tools and a carb kit .... all toll your probably looking at 2-3 hours to do your first one

heres your carb kit
http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=355603&gd_row=39&**********=004391500

make sure you take that core plug out on top of the carb BEFORE you soak it
take it and everything else out and soak the carb in the dip over night (dont soak the float)

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

What is a link and sync? and is a carb cleaning something i can do or would a marine mechanic have to do that?

Link and sync is adjusting and synchronizing all of the throttle mechanisms so that all part movements happen exactly when they should in relation to other parts. Outboards are for more complex than say a dirt bike where the throttle is simply opening of the butterfly or slide on the carb. To perform a link and sync You WILL require a factory shop manual and if your not very mechanically inclined it's best left to someone who knows how. Cleaning the carb isnt hard but the same advice applies, if you dont know how, ask for help from someone who knows.

Crosby77

Cadet

Alright cool thanks for all the advice. Im thinking it has to be something in the carb because it runs fine until full throttle then it makes the loud bogging sound and im forced to ease off the throttle.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is it running on both cylinders?

Crosby77

Cadet

How would i tell? im pretty new to outboards so i dont really know too much.