Removing Lower unit on 35 hp Evinrude.

pmcatee

Recruit
Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove the lower unit on a 1981 35hp Evinrude. It appears that it isn't releasing from the spline. Does it require a pulling unit?

D

DJ

Re: Removing Lower unit on 35 hp Evinrude.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to remove the lower unit on a 1981 35hp Evinrude. It appears that it isn't releasing from the spline. Does it require a pulling unit?

No. You didn't release the shift linkage. It's under the carb.

pmcatee

Recruit

Is the release an 1/8 inch pin with a cotter key holding?

levi_tsk

Ensign

should be a bolt on the port side of the boat right underneath the carbs take the starter off and itl be right there if the ngine is in forward gear .... did you get the bolt out from under the trim tab?

pmcatee

Recruit

Yes, the lower unit is separated from the upper housing. Does the starter have to be removed to access the shift linkage bolt?

levi_tsk

Ensign

yes, unless youre an acrobat finger contortionist or you just like punishing yourself.... seriously though it can be done but dont try it:D

pmcatee

Recruit

Thanks much for the help!!!!!!

coach_pippin

Recruit

Well, i just completed this job. I found it was easier to take screens off the lower unit and remove nut and seperate the gear linkage there than under the motor ,( there is a black plastic wedge that hold nut on and has a split in it to take off and put back on) and it was easy to remove lower unit?

pmcatee

Recruit

I discovered the same thing and found that to be true. I am presently rebuilding the gearbox. Thanks for the tip.