1985 Evinrude 4 deluxe fuel/oil ratio

landbaron2

Cadet
I just bought a 1985 Evinrude 4 deluxe that is brand new. I don't know if this motor was in a time capsule or what but it has never been used. The cowling has a factory sticker that says fuel ratio 100:1. Should I be running this engine 100:1 as it suggests on the engine cowl? I have an old evinrude 4hp that I run 50:1 and it works fine, why is this engine any different? During the break in what should I mix the fuel/oil? Thanks for any and all help with the break in and fuel question.

Respectfully

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1985 Evinrude 4 deluxe fuel/oil ratio

In reading prior threads several of the pros say that that ratio was changed and 50:1 is the correct ratio.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Yes, run it at 50:1 ratio.

Rick.

Captain

Twenty six years and still in the box? Tell us the story behind this. Good on you. It will last you a life time if taken care of. The 100/1 mix was changed right from the factory. They must have burned up a few before issuing a service bulletin to go back to 50/1. Best of luck. Rick.

landbaron2

Cadet

I got it from an estate liquidator so I don't know from whom it came from or why it was never used. Lucky for me the auction would not ship so unless the buyer happened to be in the Newport Beach, Ca area they were not going to get her. Funny thing was that the auctioneer said that he's been liquidating estates for 10 years and has never had so many people upset with him (due to the fact that he wouldn't ship it) as he was with this motor. He did however offer people the option to have a shipping company of their choice pick it up and ship for them. I guess nobody wanted to go through the trouble. Sometimes the stars align and things just work out. That being said, I may not have a boat to put her on as my cabin and boat are right in the middle of the Wallow fire that is burning in the White Mountains of Arizona. Thanks for all the advice on the ratio (I thought that 100:1 was a bit of a stretch).

Rick.

Captain

I hope all goes well for you. I saw the fire on the news last night. Very sad. So I have to ask...What did you pay for it at auction? Rick.

landbaron2

Cadet

Thank you. I ended up getting it for $167 and picked it up while I was in the area. Based on the condition (which was mint), I would have paid more but fortunately didn't have to. This will be a motor that I'll use to catch many rainbow and brown trout. The last time I was out on Big Lake (located smack dab in the middle of where that fire is raging at the moment) we caught our limit of 12 rainbows in 45 minutes. Things will be different the next time we go but there's something therapeutic about just being on the water.