1986 Johnson 110.. I cant remove the pin off the shift rod to take off the lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottkampo

Cadet
Hi.. I am trying to take off the lower unit to do the water pump.. I have done them before on other engines but this 1986 Johnson 110 is giving me trouble.. It is either whom ever did the job before me broke the bolt head off or there is a stainless steel pin in the shift rod.. If anyone knows if having a pin to hold the shift rod is normal please give me some ideas how to remove it.. If a bolt is normally there I am screwed and will need some advice how to get it out as well.. Not much room to work under the power head I am sure everone knows that problem... Thank you for any help you can give Wayne

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1986 Johnson 110.. I cant remove the pin off the shift rod to take off the lower

i just dropped lower unit on a 2000 johnson 150. pull stainless steel pin and push shift rod towards left side,this will allow unit to drop

Rottkampo

Cadet
Re: 1986 Johnson 110.. I cant remove the pin off the shift rod to take off the lower

Thank you.. How did you remove the pin.. Mine looks like the thickness of a bolt or like a barrel pin..{ NOT A COTTER PIN }... I hate to start hitting it with a hammer and something the same size to push it through... Is this the type of pin you have on your 2000?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does your shift linkage look like this? If so, Disconnect the shift cable (Green arrow), pull the clip out (Yellow arrow), then push in and twist the shift arm (Red arrow).

Attachments

• shifter1.JPG
    shifter1.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 19

AEROCOOK

I have a 1988 110 and it's just as as DargelJohn explains it. Disconnect the shift cable, Pull the pin identified with the yellow arrow then push the shift arm (the part that the cable was attached to) toward the engine and the shift rod will detatch and allow lower unit removal. One you get a visual understanding of how it works it will make more sense. I use an extendable magnetic pick up tool attached to the shift rod to help position it and get the pin back through it during reassembly.

Rottkampo

Cadet

Thank you everyone so far.. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see if thats what I need to do.. It is what I have so I hope it works... I dont understand how removing all the shift linkage from the side will help to remove the lower unit to change the water pump but I will try it... Truly thank you all

Rottkampo

Cadet

THAT WAS IT.... Thank you all again.. I could not figure how that worked by reading it but as soon as I pulled the cotter pin clip and pushed on the part that holds the cable I saw how it worked... All done and put back together today.. Could not have done it without all your help.. Wayne

AEROCOOK

THAT WAS IT.... Thank you all again.. I could not figure how that worked by reading it but as soon as I pulled the cotter pin clip and pushed on the part that holds the cable I saw how it worked... All done and put back together today.. Could not have done it without all your help.. Wayne

Pretty simple once you visualize how it works. Getting the shift rod back into position in order to slide the pin back through it can be tricky but it sounds like you had no problems.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a straightened clothes hanger with a small hook bent at the end. Use it to manipulate the shift rod end into position when reengaging the shift arm.

Do you know if this procedure would apply to a 1988 Evinrude 150 V6 ? Or is there a hard to reach screw on the left port side?

Status
Not open for further replies.