cooling system on a 1987 4hp evinrude yachtwin

BrianHuber

Recruit
:)I just bought a 1987 4hp evinrude yactwin outboard. I have it on a small jon boat.....I bought both the boat and motor on craigslist.

I took a friends advice and started up the engine in my garage while the prop was in a big bucket of water. To my surprise it started right up...idled fine....shifted into forward just fine....all seemed to run great BUT I did not see a "pee stream" to indicate any cooling. Should I see a stream on this motor? From everything I have noticed on other boat motors there is always a "pee stream". Should I be concerned? I do NOT have an owners manual or service manual for this motor.

Any help is much appreciated.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: cooling system on a 1987 4hp evinrude yachtwin

:)I just bought a 1987 4hp evinrude yactwin outboard. I have it on a small jon boat.....I bought both the boat and motor on craigslist.

I took a friends advice and started up the engine in my garage while the prop was in a big bucket of water. To my surprise it started right up...idled fine....shifted into forward just fine....all seemed to run great BUT I did not see a "pee stream" to indicate any cooling. Should I see a stream on this motor? From everything I have noticed on other boat motors there is always a "pee stream". Should I be concerned? I do NOT have an owners manual or service manual for this motor.

Any help is much appreciated.

Ok for one thing you should have not started it in a bucket. The impeller will not prime its self(Bad JuJU) in a large tank on trashcan full would suffice. Was there water coming out of the exhaust? At this point, I would be replacing the impeller before I went any further!!!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok for one thing you should have not started it in a bucket. The impeller will not prime its self(Bad JuJU) in a large tank on trashcan full would suffice. Was there water coming out of the exhaust? At this point, I would be replacing the impeller before I went any further!!!
What model#

Model E4BRHCUD
Model E4BRHLCUD
Model E4RCUD
Model E4RDHCUD
Model E4RDHLCUD
Model E4RLCUD
Model J4BRHCUD
Model J4BRHLCUD
Model J4RCUD
Model J4RDHCUD
Model J4RDHLCUD
Model J4RLCUD

BrianHuber

Recruit

The Model # is E4RLCUD and serial # is B 1377570.

And ya...it was more a trash can style bucket..it was large. Anyway...there was some small amount of water coming out of the exhaust and it was noticably warmer then the water in the larger trash can so somewhere along the line it was getting near something warm. But like I said no stream was coming out.

Just dont' want to ruin anything.

BrianHuber

Recruit

They promising thing is...it idles fine.....goes into gear fine....I can give it the gas and it responds well.....just can't imagine no pee stream coming out.