1950 Evinrude Fleetwin Starter Rope Help

jlintvet

Cadet
I picked up a 1950 fleetwin and the recoil spring was bad. Got that put back together but I am trying to figure out the procedure for getting the rope back in and set to the right tension. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jon

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 1950 Evinrude Fleetwin Starter Rope Help

While I have that same engine I have never redone the spring or rope on it as they're different from the later models as they're mounted in the top cowling. I do have the parts manual for it if it's a 4434 or 4435 model. It does not help much for this problem though but maybe in the future. If you want it PM me your email address and model #.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Hey Steve, did you ever install the water pump impeller I sold you for that bugger? :D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Still sitting on my desk right in front of me! I'll get to it though!

jlintvet

Cadet

Thank you all. I got everything back together and it fired up for the first time. I ended up simply wrapping the coil around the sheave until I couldn't any further, turned the sheave by hand to load the spring until I could get one last wrap on it so the handle would return fully and stay under limited tension.

Interesting side note. After all that the pawls would not engage the flywheel when reassembled. F_R shot me a picture of the equalizer spring and I realized this was the culprit. My spring was completely level when looking at it from the side. It needed to gain height as the radius gets smaller in order to put pressure and create the friction necessary to open the pawls with the rope is pulled. Very subtle. Amazed at the simple machines at work!

Now, it wouldn't stay running so I am going to put fresh fuel in the tank and try again. Before I do that I noticed no water was making it out of the pee hole. Assuming the impeller is shot or the line is clogged. Can anyone point me to something that outlines how to check for a clogged line or replace the impeller on a 1950? Assuming I should go ahead and get a new impeller. Any pointing here would be helpful.

Thanks again!