Help resealing Lower drive unit 1977 75HP Johnson Stinger

reggiewolf

Cadet
I just purchased my first boat. 16' Sylvan with a 75HP Johnson stinger on it. Before taking it out for the first time I decided to change the lower drive oil. I removed the lower plug and mostily water came out followed by a nasty thick black sludge. I am not sure how long it has been ran like that.

What seals do I need to buy and how can I tell if I have a 15" or 20" ? Also if you have any tips on doing this procedure I would appreciate it.

Also is there anything else I should do while I have the lower unit apart?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1977/75ELR77S 1977/parts.html

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Help resealing Lower drive unit 1977 75HP Johnson Stinger

Look at the parts breakdown below, you will need to replace seals/gaskets on the driveshaft under the water pump, shift shaft seal and gasket, o-rings and seals on propshaft.
Measure from the transom clamp to the cavation plate, should be 15 or 20 inch.
You didn't list a model number, so I guessed at the breakdown, should be close, but go by the model number for parts.
http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...CatFilter=BRP&eCatSupFldr=supplier-100-005-EJ

reggiewolf

Cadet

Thank you for your help. I found out I do have a 20". The model is a 75ELR77S so you guessed right. The parts I am thinking I need are 4, 24, 28, 30, 37, 42, 44, 51, 58, 60, 65, 78, 81. Could somebody please double check and make sure that is what I need? I would hate to start pulling it apart just to realize I need to wait for some more parts to order, or on the otherhand order parts that I do not need.

Thanks,
Jesse

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Looks like you got it pretty much covered. You will need #49. #4 is a water screen, unless yours is broken, you shouldn't need it. #44 is the exhaust seal, you woun't need this unless yours is torn or broken. You have some water pump parts, just get the pump kit. #65 should come with the pump kit.
Sometimes it's hard to tell everything you need until you tear it down.